Ammonia - Not enough Filtration

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Quite possibly, and IMO most likely, just a false ammonia reading from your API test kit. This is quite common when using Seachem Prime (or Safe) as a water conditioner. Salicylate or Nessler based test kits determine the total ammonia by raising the pH of the test solution to 12 or greater. At this high pH all ammonia removal products will breakdown and re-release the ammonia, giving a false ammonia reading. Total ammonia is simply a reading of NH3 (toxic) and NH4+ (non toxic) combined.

According to Seachem, when using their products such as Prime and/or Safe, the ammonia is converted into the Schiff base of an aldehyde (R2C=NH) which is non-toxic.

Get yourself one of these, these sensors only detect free ammonia (NH3), not total ammonia, which is what your test is supplying. https://www.seachem.com/ammonia-alert.php
Just ordered! Good tip, coming tonight.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Did 70% water change, added 7ml of prime, 32 oz of fritz 7 (goop) and seems water close to perfect currently.

ph appears 7.6 -

going to feed 1/3 less and more frequently.

0D6A459F-2F35-494A-858D-9773850C8777.jpeg

AA89BF84-EBF7-4D3D-A9EF-E0C039A54593.jpeg

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Feeding the catfish less and more frequently? Why?

Was the water test before or after a water change?
test was 12 hours after water change.

I’d presume it would be easier on the bio filter to handle little bits over longer period vs medium - large feeding then spike.

I have been feeding prior to wc...

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
test was 12 hours after water change.

I’d presume it would be easier on the bio filter to handle little bits over longer period vs medium - large feeding then spike.

I have been feeding prior to wc...
4 oz of crap is still 4 oz of crap, even when spread out through the day. 24-48 hours later.... poop comes out. No real point in spreading it out during the day for a catfish. Reducing overall feeding in a week is better.

Reactions: dr exum and Zanzag
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store