ammonia reading

FreshwaterHawaii

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2011
Hawaii
My 40g breeder tank with 1 small arowana has been set up for about a week now and the nitrite is reading 0 and the ammonia is reading .5. I have a penguin 350, a pump, and a heater at 82 degrees. I've been following the directions on the stability bottle. Are my readngs normal? When should it clear up? Should i do a water change? %? Is an ammonia reading of .5 THAT harmful? Thanks.

orljdmh22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
U.S.A
FreshwaterHawaii;5149304; said:
My 40g breeder tank with 1 small arowana has been set up for about a week now and the nitrite is reading 0 and the ammonia is reading .5. I have a penguin 350, a pump, and a heater at 82 degrees. I've been following the directions on the stability bottle. Are my readngs normal? When should it clear up? Should i do a water change? %? Is an ammonia reading of .5 THAT harmful? Thanks.
its a new setup, so you're going through a break in cycle. any ammonia at all can be harmful - which i why, idealy, you probly shouldn't have started the tank right away with an arowana.

Ayeeepowlow

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2011
Hawaii
Hawaii braadah! ok at .5 your arowana will be stressed, clamped fins and rapid gill pumping just do water changes (25%) every... 2 days i know that will be a pain in the ass but still do it. have you ever water changed in the past? or cycled the tank?

orljdmh22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
U.S.A
aclockworkorange;5149351; said:
He said he's using stability to cycle. Read?
i wouldnt trust that stuff 100% of the time though. ive seen plenty of those products do nothing at all sometimes. he may be using it to try to cycle. but he didnt use it, with other fish, before the Arowana went in from what it sounds like.

orljdmh22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
U.S.A
and by "do nothing at all" i mean, they dont do what they advertise. making it possilble to add fish right away with no spikes of a normal cycle. it will still cycle the tank, but the tank would cycle all the same without it.

FreshwaterHawaii

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2011
Hawaii
No the tank is not cycled. I stated in the original post that its been up for about a week and im using STABILITY. There was a small oscar in it by himself up until a couple days ago and my neighbors aros were fighting so im holding it for him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store