And so the new journey begins...

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I have freshwater gobies here as well, just not too close to me though. They are interesting fish for sure

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I find it intriguing that you can keep the puffers with other community fish. I have read about them with gobies but others say it's hit or miss with other fish. It's one of the reasons I haven't tried them - they are so cute but SO small so to have them alone would be fun maybe in a jungle microcosm tank but it would be more fun to have a few more fish with them.

How often do you feed them snails? Or do you just keep snails breeding in the tank? Sorry for so many questions - I like your tank!

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I find it intriguing that you can keep the puffers with other community fish. I have read about them with gobies but others say it's hit or miss with other fish. It's one of the reasons I haven't tried them - they are so cute but SO small so to have them alone would be fun maybe in a jungle microcosm tank but it would be more fun to have a few more fish with them.

How often do you feed them snails? Or do you just keep snails breeding in the tank? Sorry for so many questions - I like your tank!

I think the trick to keeping them in a community tank is to get them as small as possible and to keep them very well fed... a lot of decor seems to help as well to break up lines of sight...

As far as the snail question, i have another high tech planted tank that has pest snails, so whenever i find some i collect them and throw them into my 60G, that way my puffers get a chance to go looking for their favorite snack...

Reactions: magpie

KabobSoldier

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Dallas,TX
Loving the gobies! My group of 7 stiphodon atropurpureus always entertain me. The males tend to fight when I change the scape up and it can get pretty wild. It never gets past some torn up fins though. Once they decide who gets which territory its peaceful again and they recover.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ yeah, their level of fighting seems to mainly consist of chasing the other away from their area and they'll be happy...

Reactions: KabobSoldier

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Finally got some nice shots of the gobies in my tank, so thought i would update this thread a little...

Stiphodon percnopterygionus
View attachment 1225883

Stiphodon annieae
View attachment 1225884

Rhinogobius zhoui
View attachment 1225885
I've recently become interested in Gobies. I love their behavior and color.

How many do you think I could have in my 16? I already have a Sicyopus zosterphorum, and I plan to have 20 Blue Diamond Shrimp and 20 CRS. The species that mainly interests me is Stiphodon Annieae. They're very colorful, and have only been a species since 2014, which makes them quite rare, another reason why I want a few.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Honestly, im not sure how many one should keep in the tank, the main reason for this is because i have noticed they can be a little territorial with each other...

I mean as far as i can tell they wont physically harm each other, but will sometimes chase another gobie away from certain spots within the tank...

At the moment i think i have around 6 gobies from 3 species inside my 60G tank and its quite peaceful...

The only thing is the gobies may eat some of your very young shrimps if they get hold of them, which may or may not effect your shrimp colony expanding...

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Honestly, im not sure how many one should keep in the tank, the main reason for this is because i have noticed they can be a little territorial with each other...

I mean as far as i can tell they wont physically harm each other, but will sometimes chase another gobie away from certain spots within the tank...

At the moment i think i have around 6 gobies from 3 species inside my 60G tank and its quite peaceful...

The only thing is the gobies may eat some of your very young shrimps if they get hold of them, which may or may not effect your shrimp colony expanding...
I plan to start each colony with 20 shrimp, so that shouldn't be a problem. I was asking the question because they feed off of the biofilm, and I'm not sure how many my tank cam sustain.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I plan to start each colony with 20 shrimp, so that shouldn't be a problem. I was asking the question because they feed off of the biofilm, and I'm not sure how many my tank cam sustain.
Yeah, i mean thats exactly what i said to the store owner when i got mine as well and his thought was that as long as the tank is well established you could probably keep 10-20 in a 60G easily...

I mean at the store he had easily 50 of them in one very small tank (maybe 12" cube), but not sure how well that would work out in the long run...

So far mine have done pretty well considering i havent really fed the tank much at all, so if were to strictly have a guess, i would say maybe 4 in a 20G depending how densely planted the tank is???

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Top 2 species definitely are, they basically require micro algae and bio-film as a main food source...

Also the photos dont really do them justice as their colors are a lot more vibrant... really gotta pull out my DSLR and macro lens one day to try and get some clearer shots...

Not a species to keep if you like extremely spotless aquariums. Those are some real knockout Gobies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store