And so the new journey begins...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Pity about the fish not making. I like the new hardscape and bet it will great when it slowly fills in.

I really enjoyed having a 0 fert + low light tank.
Yeah, was a real shame since it was a gorgeous betta too...

And i agree with the low maintenance tanks being sometimes the most enjoyable, since my high tech planted tank drives me nuts half the time lol...

Reactions: magpie and Hendre

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Nice! Tank looks great and I love hairy puffers. They're supposed to be fun fish.

Bettas - they just don't generally have a great lifespan with few exceptions... I think maybe they're just overbred so much? Bummer, he was a beauty.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Nice! Tank looks great and I love hairy puffers. They're supposed to be fun fish.

Bettas - they just don't generally have a great lifespan with few exceptions... I think maybe they're just overbred so much? Bummer, he was a beauty.
Thanks, this hairy puffer is definitely a lot more active than i ever expected... at least when hes hungry...

As for the bettas, thats what i keep hearing, people now a days seem to think bettas dont last as long as they used to??? I personally was never much of a betta keeper before so cant really say...

Although bettas these days seem to look a lot nicer on the outside, just not sure how good their genes are...

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks, this hairy puffer is definitely a lot more active than i ever expected... at least when hes hungry...

As for the bettas, thats what i keep hearing, people now a days seem to think bettas dont last as long as they used to??? I personally was never much of a betta keeper before so cant really say...

Although bettas these days seem to look a lot nicer on the outside, just not sure how good their genes are...
Bettas aren't as hardy these days, part of it is terrible amounts of inbreeding

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Its a day of mixed feelings for me as i near the end of tearing down the tank handed down to me by my father after having been up running on for 20+ years now...

Will definitely miss having to maintain this tank due to all the great memories associated with it (even if i’ve cursed it our several times before when things decided to go south).

So i thought adding the tear down photos of the process would make for a fitting end to what was a great, fun tank to own and a thread i’ve tried enjoyed updating over the years (when i remembered to at least)...

The obligatory full tank shot before tear down

F8F0CD92-B4F8-4442-A31A-83DC5C7FA7F4.jpeg

Removing partial water to make life easier for removing stuff
1F4A6EA6-3E9B-45E4-BBF3-E3AD3DA0C4E6.jpeg

My attempt to remove some soil with the siphon before it kept getting clogged
6E7975A2-4558-4F00-86BE-5D8AFF0D6C93.jpeg

removed all the plants and hardscape

BEC7246F-8C31-4244-B3B0-C6702D3E8FED.jpeg

At this point i removed 95% of the substrate using a small plastic container hence the murky water...
77CC17FD-F652-40A6-948C-47445667823C.jpeg

almost finished emptying it for the last time...
F16527EF-BB90-4D52-A161-132C5DB85C15.jpeg

and finally the tank as it sits right now waiting to dry out before final clean...

06C48AAC-1AC8-4857-AADB-70AEE4A60B8C.jpeg

Now all thats left to do is to wait for the remaining substrate to completely dry out so i can vacuum the remaining dirt out and then clean up, which is definitely sad for me knowing this is just the first of all my 3 tanks i’ll be tearing down over the next 2 months...

But as mentioned before, this i feel makes for a fitting end to this thread and the tank, which also gives me closure similar to saying your final goodbyes to a close friend on passing...

And yes, im very emotionally attached to my 3 tanks, mainly due to the good memories they bring to me whenever i look at them...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Nilsafeller Nilsafeller moving to another country and cant take my tanks sadly...

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Ah! Well... new beginnings... new tanks.. new journey
Lol, maybe once i settle down i’ll setup a tank again even though that may take a while with having to setup a business and everything else first...

Reactions: Angelphish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store