Angel fish laid eggs

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Have you looked all over in the aquarium sometimes they will move the fry.
Hello; Between my last post and now I did see some fry in another new place, so you are correct again. The tank is planted fairly densely so it will be hard to tell. I will give it a few days of adding fry sized foods to be sure. Thanks again.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello; Between my last post and now I did see some fry in another new place, so you are correct again. The tank is planted fairly densely so it will be hard to tell. I will give it a few days of adding fry sized foods to be sure. Thanks again.

Very happy to hear that :) Wait until they absorb their egg sac and you see them free swimming before feeding the fry food, also they will find microscopic goodies off of the plants.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
In response to your angel pair laying its eggs......Congrats first of all........Angelfish are part of the cichlid family....Cichlids raise their young.........The young actually eat mucus off the skin of their parents for the first 2 weeks.........I suggest siphoning the newly hatched into a 10-20g tank....The fry soak up the egg sack material for the first 5-7 days....When the sack is gone, the young are in need of food.......This is the start of their hand feeding..........BBS, short for baby brine shrimp, is all I feed my young for the first 4-8 weeks..........Then, at 2 months old, I start crushed flake and pellets..........By week 5, the wigglers are free swimmers and are known as technical "fry," or fish........At free swimming stage, I have the fry in 55g tanks.........I do 50% water changes everyday until I sale or move to breeder/show tanks..........

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; It's been a few days and no fry are to be see. While I do not know for sure what happened it seems likely that at least one of the parents ate them. The fry were moved a few times with the number of fry being fewer each time. I did see one parent take a couple into it's mouth and either hold them for a long time or eat them.

If they spawn again I may be better prepared. I do have some old blackboard slate that can be placed in the tank. I use to hatch brine shrimp for other fry in the past will get some brine shrimp eggs.
I have some cleaned and ready small tanks on hand that can be set up in a hurry and may move the eggs. An air stone with fine bubbles might be helpful in keeping the eggs clean. I guess as with the other species I have induced to spawn it will take some trial and error to get it right.

Thanks to those who responded. Things like this makes maintaining an interest in the hobby
easier even after 50+ years.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; My angles are at it again. This time I was awake and watching when they started laying eggs this time. I now know that the smaller is the female. She laid a larger number of eggs this time. I will try to attach some photos taken while they were in the process of spawning.

She laid eggs on two different leaves this time so if both batches are fertile I may leave one with the parents and place the other in my QT.

I have some brine shrimp eggs to be hatched which I picked up in Knoxville TN.

DSCN7946.JPG DSCN7961.JPG DSCN7957.JPG

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; A few days ago the parents started moving the developing eggs around. By then I had an empty QT tank set up and up to temperature. I siphoned out maybe 2/3 of the eggs into the empty tank.
As of last night the eggs in the QT are still alive and wiggling. Not free swimming as yet. Apparently the eggs left in with the parents are gone.
I suspect it is the male eating them. At least is was the male I observed eating some last time.

A question on procedure. I have been feeding the parents all along. Can this be a potential trigger for them eating the eggs?

I started an infusoria culture which is getting ripe to use as one first food. This has worked well with fry of other species for me. I will also start some brine shrimp today.

I have been catching the small fish out a 55 gallon since yesterday with the plan to move the angel fish into it. Not sure if the larger tank will make any difference as far as them eating their eggs or not. The plan was to move them into the 55 as they grew anyway.

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
I would take substrate out too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store