Angelfish Breeders

JuanTamad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, Fl
Never had that problem with my line of Blacks and I do not use the S.F. brand. Too pricey. I use the Salt Lake City Brine shrimp eggs. I feed bbs to my angel fries on their first day of free swimming.

I also breed Bettas and Gouramis occasionally. For their fries I use green Water for a few days before switching them over to bbs.

I maintain a tank of feeder guppies in my patio for my Arowanas. Their tank if left uncovered for a few days under the Florida Sun turns green. I just scoop water from their tank and pour it in the containers holding the small fries. I've also occasionally use this approach with Angel fries when I see that they are not eating the bbs in their first few days.

If you are not getting enough Sunshine to turn the water green, you may also use spirulina powder blended with water as feed for very small fries. I prefer the green water from my guppy tank because it has live algae and it won't foul up the fries' tank even if they don't eat all the green stuff.

SnakeMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2006
Indiana
Yea, I have use infasorea (spelling) before. It will feed anything, no mader the size. Yea, some of my black fry were super small.

Later,

Billy

Makorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2006
USA
I want to get into breeding angelfish too. ( just for fun). Any suggestion? Right nowI have one empty tank (75g). Still looking for idea what to do with it.

JuanTamad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, Fl
The quickest is to buy established pairs. They could be expensive.

You can also start off with a pack of six young Angels. You have a better than 90% chance of getting at least 1 pair from that bunch.

Where in the US are you located at. You can check out some of the Angelfish forums to find a breeder in your area.

born2lovefish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Indianapolis
I have what I think is a pair. They lay eggs every two weeks or so. They never hatch. I have gotten sick of this so I bought some. I found a college student about a hour north of me who had a unmatched pair and three other big ones. I bought them friday and today I bought a pair of gold veils off aquabid. I just took out the gravel and all the live plants in my 29 gallon for the pair I got friday. I put the plants out of my 29 into my 75 gallon where the other 5 angels are. I am hoping the ones that would not raise their eggs for me will pair off with the 3 other ones I got friday. The pair I got friday is looking like they will lay eggs soon. Their tubes can be seen so I am just waiting. I am hoping they will lay some eggs before I get this new pair of golds. Then I will put the golds in the 29 to condition them for breeding. I am planning on getting 2 ten gallons for growing out the fry for the first couple weeks. I bought 2 sponge filter and two 50 watt heaters today marked way down. Got it all for under $30. I thought that was a deal. The heaters were originally $26 each and filters $8 each. I mainly want to breed angels as a hobby. If I get some nice looking babies I want to take them to my old high school. I helped start a fish club there and they will be happy for them. Who knows, maybe I will not get anything from them. Let me know if anyone has tips for breeding angels. I also am wondering about hatching the eggs by myself. Thanks!

angel1978

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Manheim PA
Im new to here and i love angelfish. I would love to have a breeding pair but from what i understand you need more than 2 in a group for them to breed?

JuanTamad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, Fl
Im new to here and i love angelfish. I would love to have a breeding pair but from what i understand you need more than 2 in a group for them to breed?
I have my breeding pairs in their own breeding tank. A pair to each tank. I also maintain, pair off tank where I keep 20 or more Angels. When a pair forms I net them and move them to their honeymoon tank.:)

You keep more than two in a group to improve the probability that you will have a male and a female.

If you keep only two of unknown sex you may end up with either both males or both females. If you get six you will have a better than 90% chance that you will have at least one male and at least one female.

Keeper of the Ropes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2006
Texas
I would like some help in this area too ~ What exactly do the angelfish do to signal them "pairing off", aside from following each other around? I have four angels, 2 quite young and two old enough to breed. The older two are very different (in my eyes) because I am insanely picky about what I think a quality angel looks like. The black veil is absolutely stunning and I consider that fish my prize fish out of all my tanks. The other was a present from a friend of mine, and is not exactly the same calibur of fish as the black. I had them in a 30g with a lot of other fish, and they routinely followed each other around. Sometimes I would see them nipping at each others faces, but it didn't seem to be fighting. There wasn't any chasing at top speed either. I got rid of almost all the fish in the 20g tank today and I moved the lower quality angel into that tank. I want to move them both but I am too protective of the black to just up and move it - if the lower quality angel adjusts fine to the new tank conditions then I'll move the black into the 20g too. Is a 20g big enough for them to breed if they are completely alone in it? And what should I look for when I put them together again?

<*<>{ KOTR <*<>{

JuanTamad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, Fl
Some signs of Angels pairing off:

1. The fish that have paired off will show Agressive behaviour towards other fish.
2. Lips Locking (Kissing).
3. Cleaning a chosen area for breeding with their mouths.
4. The Male will show a pointed tube near the Anal fin. The Female will show a more rounded tube (Ovipositor).
5. Sure Sign of spawning: The females deposits eggs on its chosen surface, followed by the male fertilizing the eggs with his tube.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store