Angelfish in 75 gallon?

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hey guys!

Made a few threads about tank mates for my bichir and I’ve decided I want a few Angelfish. Probably going to go with the scalares species since those are most readily available in my area. How many should I keep and should I mix them with any fish? My goal is to minimize aggression. Also my tank is planted so will angelfish eat my plants? Thanks!!

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
For angelfish, either have a solo one, a pair, or a group of 6. Sometimes groups don’t work out since 2 might pair up. What tank size do you have?
Angels will eat anything that can fit in their mouths, unless you grow them up together with smaller fish. Any taller bodied tetra or species similar in shape and nonaggression fish could work with angels.

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
angelcrze angelcrze
I would do 6-10 in a tank that big.

Reactions: angelcrze

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
Hey guys!

Made a few threads about tank mates for my bichir and I’ve decided I want a few Angelfish. Probably going to go with the scalares species since those are most readily available in my area. How many should I keep and should I mix them with any fish? My goal is to minimize aggression. Also my tank is planted so will angelfish eat my plants? Thanks!!
I keep 8 angels in my 90g for the longest time. I recently lost one to make 7. But I would get at least 6-8 to start. They are less expensive as smaller/younger angels, so if you have to rehome some once they mature, it's never trouble finding a home and you can usually get a nice penny for them as mature angels.

For a 75g I would do 5-7 angels. Maybe more, but generally I do 10 gallons per angel for a group of 4 or more.

Angels are schooling cichlids and enjoy the biggest school the tank can accommodate.

For tankmates I keep BN plecos and tetras with my angels. I wouldn't do GBRs because of the high temp requirement, but Bolivian might work. I'm a stickler for keeping fish from the similar indigenous area together.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
For angelfish, either have a solo one, a pair, or a group of 6. Sometimes groups don’t work out since 2 might pair up. What tank size do you have?
Angels will eat anything that can fit in their mouths, unless you grow them up together with smaller fish. Any taller bodied tetra or species similar in shape and nonaggression fish could work with angels.
75 gallon tank.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I keep 8 angels in my 90g for the longest time. I recently lost one to make 7. But I would get at least 6-8 to start. They are less expensive as smaller/younger angels, so if you have to rehome some once they mature, it's never trouble finding a home and you can usually get a nice penny for them as mature angels.

For a 75g I would do 5-7 angels. Maybe more, but generally I do 10 gallons per angel for a group of 4 or more.

Angels are schooling cichlids and enjoy the biggest school the tank can accommodate.

For tankmates I keep BN plecos and tetras with my angels. I wouldn't do GBRs because of the high temp requirement, but Bolivian might work. I'm a stickler for keeping fish from the similar indigenous area together.
Thanks! I will probably start with 6 and go from there.

Reactions: Fishnerd360

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hey guys! Thanks all for the input! Really appreciate it! I will probably get 6 angels and see how they do. If I buy them small (2 inches), how quickly will they get to mature size?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store