Another African Tiger question for the experts

allegra

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Cal
hello, I'm relatively new here and my question is what size tank would you experts say to be the minimum size for keeping ATFs? (And any other tips on keeping these great fish.)

I've kept 3 individuals in the past, with all 3 dying rather tragically and I was quite discouraged that I haven't attempted to keep them since.

The first one grew to 8 inches and was in a 125 gal. One day it got freaked out and ram into the tank wall, convulsed, and died right in front of my eyes.

The second one was about 5 inches and in a 60 gal. It met pretty much the same end when it ram into the wall.

The third one was in a 125 and one night I turned on the room light, it freaked out, jumped outta the tank by busting through the acrylic cover, landed on the floor, convulsed, and died.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
A-MEN. Buy a pond or don't get one. These are open-water fish who's bodies are designed to speedily propel them through river currents and large bodies of water.

hemptation88

Candiru
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
new jersey
wow i cant believe they all died. I have a 5in in a 55 gallon and it hasnt died yet and its jumped out of the tank and hit himself against the glass. jus ended up w/ some broken teeth that healed quickly. The best thing you can do to stop them from hitting the sides so hard is putting some kind of background on the sides so they know when to stop. it pisses me off tho how scared they get

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
The TRUST said:
I'd say to house an adult fish you need about a 1000G tank or more.
I agree with trust here. This would be probably too small for a goliath ATF, these fish are extremly fast and need lots of swimming room.

tigerfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
Well, I wouldn't say 1000g is essential, nice yes, but not necessary. I would say that the bare minimum for a Vittatus being a 360g standard measurement of 8'x3'x2'. Of course, bigger is always better, 500g would be nice. In the wild they do reach 3', but in captive conditions, a large Vittatus is about 2'(+/- a few "). When that size they aren't normally very skittish so it should be fine.
For a Goliath, bare minimum 900g+. In the wild they reach 5'+, captive conditions 3-4'? There is so little if any information on these. Time will tell.

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
PhullTank57 said:
Kept a 17"+ Forskalli in a 240g... did fine for awhile, but i'd definitely go wider tho... 3.5ft. and up. GL! :headbang2
That is a nice fish! :headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store