Another African Tiger question for the experts

hemptation88

Candiru
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
new jersey
yeh thats what i thought damn that suxs i think the 1 i traded that 1 in for was a goliath, i only did it cuz it was small and it banged up its teeth and wasnt eatin. i didnt kno much back then so i switched em such a mistake

smoke187

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2005
Hey guys,

I pretty much have the same looking ATF that hemptation88 has in his photo, but what are the key charactheristics that shows you weather it is a Vittatus or a Goliath? any particular markings, body shape?

Thanks!

BUBBA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
you would need at least a 900 gallon.
i had a few of the Vitattus small 3".
Sold them to a buddy thats growing them out in a 900

tigerfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
smoke187 said:
Hey guys,

I pretty much have the same looking ATF that hemptation88 has in his photo, but what are the key charactheristics that shows you weather it is a Vittatus or a Goliath? any particular markings, body shape?

Thanks!
Key differences:

H. Goliath
Lack of prominant lateral striping.
Lack of yellow on fins. The only color on fins is red on the lower lobe of the caudal (tail) fin. The caudal fin becomes a bit more broad than on Vittatus as the fish grows, not as a juvie.
More elongated face and mouth.
Larger teeth than Vittatus of same size.

Vittatus
Prominant lateral stripes.
More colorful fins. Caudal fin has red on the lower lobe and yellow on upper. Pelvic and anal fins have yellow with white tips.

All ATFs will get the pointed sickle shaped ends on their caudal fin.

BUBBA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
tigerfangs said:
Key differences:

H. Goliath
Lack of prominant lateral striping.
Lack of yellow on fins. The only color on fins is red on the lower lobe of the caudal (tail) fin. The caudal fin becomes a bit more broad than on Vittatus as the fish grows, not as a juvie.
More elongated face and mouth.
Larger teeth than Vittatus of same size.

Vittatus
Prominant lateral stripes.
More colorful fins. Caudal fin has red on the lower lobe and yellow on upper. Pelvic and anal fins have yellow with white tips.

All ATFs will get the pointed sickle shaped ends on their caudal fin.
Your Avatar is Off the Hook.

smoke187

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2005
Thanks tigerfangs, I guess I have a Vittatus... anyone know how big they get?

hydrocynus7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2005
Chattanooga,TN USA
:headbang2 We had one at the TN. Aquarium in the early 90's that I think was "just" a vittatus. It was at least 24" , probably larger. The tank was about 8'-8' - 6' or so . It was a perfect fish, I don't know what happened to it though after I left. :shakehead

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store