another pit bull in the news.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
sad for the dog but nothing more annoying then a bunch of people rallying every time a pit thread comes up trying to educate the public. A lot of the logic on why they're so great seemed to be presented through rose color glasses. i've run into some sweet ones and i've run into some flat out nasty temperment ones. ownership plays some part in it but that's just how it is. present both sides of the coin

snot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2009
colorado
So much miss information spread and believed about what used to be the very symbol of this county. Go to any shelter half the dogs in there aren't the breed listed on their card. Any short haired tuff looking dog that attacks someone is a pitbull. most of the info on those attacks came from news media. The general news media couldn't get their facts straight if their lives depended on it, for the most part they could care less as long as it sounds sensational. most people wouldn't know what a real pit was if it walked up and licked them. owners testify all the time their dogs have never shown aggression. even when the judge a has pile of tickets and complaints about their dog in front of him. Pits are dogs just like any other raised by a dominant owner, properly exercised and contained they are angels. Raised by sissy punk gangsters or pansy humanizing yuppies they are dangerous. But so is ANY dog.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Manda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2012
Philly, PA
The reality of what Pits are is different from pretty much every other dog out there. For over 150 years the breed has been refined in american dog fighting, the most viscous dog fighting format in the world. Bred to kill and not back down the breed is one of the few in the world that is relatively devoid of pack instincts that other dogs have. Pits don't care about dominance, they don't really perceive it. They are on or off, that is what they were bread to do only in the last 15-20 years have they become such a prevalent home animal.

I'm speaking about the Breed and what was intended for the animal when the breed was established. There is no way to account for individual animals. I live with a blue pit from the am staf line and she's a sweety but can't deal with other dogs very well. Not respecting the animal and its heritage is how normal well to do people experience those house hold tragedies. End of the days pits are what they are because WE made them that way, so its our responsibility to be responsible for it.

All guard dog breeds I'm familiar with were bread to attack and pin, not kill trespassers. While I'm sure they have accidents and or bad owners, but it is not the intent of the breeding practices to produce killers.

I'm not sure if you understand how line breeding works to produce the best in breed but basically inbreeding is a tenant of this.

Pits are less than 5 percent of the population, what are labs, probably the most prevalent dog out there? Lets say they are 15-20 percentI'd expect you to have more bad experiences with labs simply by virtue of volume. If 1/4 of labs were bad you'd still have more negative exposure than if half of pits were bad. At that see my above comment as to why their behavior deviates from that of other dogs.

Yes, I can't take most little dog demeanors. Their aggression is allowed because of their size but really it speaks to the rather poor breeding practices that have become so prevalent in the last couple decades.

Self inflicted conditions are something most people really struggle to have sympathy for. I'm of the same mind set in that its horrible that the dog had to get hurt like that. Where is the old lady in this story? I would assume somewhere drinking or sleeping.
I'm not sure if your familiar with camden nj. But I work a few miles from there so we do see a lot of pitbulls where I work and out of the pitbulls and other breeds that come in the small breeds are the worst, then your other breeds, then pitbulls. Camden has a high rate of pitbulls.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
The reality of what Pits are is different from pretty much every other dog out there. For over 150 years the breed has been refined in american dog fighting, the most viscous dog fighting format in the world. Bred to kill and not back down the breed is one of the few in the world that is relatively devoid of pack instincts that other dogs have. Pits don't care about dominance, they don't really perceive it. They are on or off, that is what they were bread to do only in the last 15-20 years have they become such a prevalent home animal.

I'm speaking about the Breed and what was intended for the animal when the breed was established. There is no way to account for individual animals. I live with a blue pit from the am staf line and she's a sweety but can't deal with other dogs very well. Not respecting the animal and its heritage is how normal well to do people experience those house hold tragedies. End of the days pits are what they are because WE made them that way, so its our responsibility to be responsible for it.

All guard dog breeds I'm familiar with were bread to attack and pin, not kill trespassers. While I'm sure they have accidents and or bad owners, but it is not the intent of the breeding practices to produce killers.
I absolutely agree that APBTs are very different from most dogs. The breed was intended for dominance in the pit, no doubt. However during their initial breeding the dogs that were people aggressive were put down, even as pups. Pitbulls were bred to be ferocious in the pit and the same dog to take care of the family by night, hence the reason your AmStaff isnt a fan of other animals but is great to your family. They by no means were bred to be mindless attack creatures. Read up on the "nanny dog", and Seargant Stubbs or even Petey from the Little Rascals. There's a lot of great info out there from the OLD school breeders(bloodlines like Sorrells). So it's not only been the last 15-20 years that they've been in home animals. I think the major issue now is the recent "Goliath pitbulls" and the deep blues which had a lot of inbreeding to enhance their traits. That's what will make a dog so quirky and you're right again by that being something we are responsible for. That along with irresponsible owners looking for a "thug" dog is the issue.
They absolutely do perceive dominance though. Not out of fear like a cur dog, but they perceive it nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
I am sure a lot of pits are very mean. I am even scared of one if I didnt know it. I have one, who takes kicks in the face from my 11 month old son. Thats why I got her though, because when I rescued her I knew she was sweet.

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
more like alcohoclic mom pushed pit in front of moving train. jk. dogs a hero. all the pits i know are the most kindest youll ever meet.

kissofcrimson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
www.facebook.com
I absolutely agree that APBTs are very different from most dogs. The breed was intended for dominance in the pit, no doubt. However during their initial breeding the dogs that were people aggressive were put down, even as pups. Pitbulls were bred to be ferocious in the pit and the same dog to take care of the family by night, hence the reason your AmStaff isnt a fan of other animals but is great to your family. They by no means were bred to be mindless attack creatures.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Exactly. They were bred to fight other dogs, not to attack and kill humans. The "refs" had to be able to pull the dogs apart without the fear of getting bit and any dog that did show human aggression would be killed.

Any dog can be mean. Any dog can kill. All breeds of dog have the capability of killing or seriously injuring a human. Its bogus that people like to blame everything but themselves, even if the expense of the other means potential death.

Sent from my LGL55C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store