Another Super Red Texas Attempt

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
This guy here surprisingly ended up being fertile. I am 0-3 on wigglers as they must be pretty tasty to them. Her tube is dropping and I'm ready for them this time. I haven't had much luck pulling eggs in the past so I have another tank set up to pull the parents. Fingers crossed on not going 0-4...lol Thai Super Red Texas / Indonesian Red Texas SB

Dr Evil.jpg

Reactions: sikoko

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Red Tex, yes. Super Red Tex, not even close. Good luck.

Reactions: Ozzie73

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Red Tex, yes. Super Red Tex, not even close. Good luck.
Thanks...but how is he not even close to Super Red Texas? Do you go by the color (which his red does get deeper when groomed)? I've always gone by the rule of thumb the Thai's implemented. Those crazy fish inventors that are years ahead of us in the hybrid game.
A friend translated the attached chart short and sweet: "RT - F1. Will use Mom King Kong. Parrot. Red Syn. SRT-2 Up. Will use Redtexas mom." I also attached an English version that is a little off from the Thai but along the same lines.

thai chart.jpg

tx chart.jpg

Reactions: islandguy11

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Someone show me a breeder consistently producing red Texas cichlids that are actually deep red. I know they exist, but in reality they are basically unicorns.

Not too many fish like this floating around in the hobby:

Having said that, if I was trying to produce red Texas, this isn't the pair I'd expect to do it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
This might help......

I don't personally see those two specimens producing SRT offspring. RT, yes, SRT, not likely.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
There are plenty of SRT in the hobby, most just don't make it out of Asia, at least that has been my experience. But, if you look at the link above, Kolt posted one that was in NYC area.

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
All the chart shows me is how to get a RT or SRT, and what portion of the offspring could look like a RT/SRT.

The disclaimer even says that breeders sort the offspring for RT and SRT. Not that all offspring are guaranteed to be RT or SRT.
I totally agree, but I'm pretty sure when they refer to sorting the offspring, it's no different from flowerhorn as far as sorting out the undesirables and doing culls so the bad ones don't end up out on the market. You guys could be right and I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong here. I'm just stating what I've been going by since I started breeding these. If JD is correct then I thank him for more useful information.

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Someone show me a breeder consistently producing red Texas cichlids that are actually deep red. I know they exist, but in reality they are basically unicorns.

Not too many fish like this floating around in the hobby:

Having said that, if I was trying to produce red Texas, this isn't the pair I'd expect to do it.
I think that picture is the first RT most have us have seen to draw us in...lol. Nobody is producing consistent red texas on that level. If someone had a pair producing whole batches like that, the market would get flooded and convicts would cost more. Between flowerhorn and Texas sure I've gotten some nice ones, but nothing I would consider a show stopper. Even breeding them full on...it's a unicorn fish you're lucky to end up with. My males aren't show stoppers but they're proven fertile, so I at least have a chance for something crazy.

Reactions: RD. and adamsfishes

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Not unicorns, but I doubt that the true red SRT's are produced on a regular basis, which is why the true high quality red SRT specimens cost so much. Perfect shape, perfect pearls, perfect red color, etc. Perfection costs $$$$$. lol

Reactions: Ozzie73

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
it's no different from flowerhorn as far as sorting out the undesirables and doing culls so the bad ones don't end up out on the market.
Millions of low quality FH are on the market, because where there is a buck to be made, there will be someone there to make it. Ditto to RT, much more mediocre fish than high quality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store