Ants in your biotope

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I can't answer for swami but I'm interested in dart frogs or vampire crabs.
I don't think you can keep dart frogs with fish though? Need to look more I to it.
Depends on the fish, they have to be peaceful small fish, cherry barbs, neons,cherry and bamboo shrimp, could also do Everglades Pygmy sunfish, could even add a rough green snake , which eat insects

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
What other critters are you thinking of?
No particular short term plans, but would love to do something with a chameleon one day. I know there are plenty of difficulties it would present, I can't say I've thought through them all. Just a dream at this point.
Aquarium store I used to work for had a paludarium with vamp crabs I believe last time I was there. Can't remember if there were live fish included.
Dart Frogs would be very cool

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Depends on the fish, they have to be peaceful small fish, cherry barbs, neons,cherry and bamboo shrimp, could also do Everglades Pygmy sunfish, could even add a rough green snake , which eat insects
Thanks.
I'm sure I read something, i could be wrong here, that dart frogs can drown easily and they should only have a very shallow water area?
Could the water be deep if there were lots of easy ways back out of it? Or could you have a very gently sloping substrate into deeper water.
I like the idea of a few shrimp or maybe some small killifish.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks.
I'm sure I read something, i could be wrong here, that dart frogs can drown easily and they should only have a very shallow water area?
Could the water be deep if there were lots of easy ways back out of it? Or could you have a very gently sloping substrate into deeper water.
Chili rasboras might work.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Thanks.
On dendroboard.com people are often advised to make water shallow as dart frogs apparently do drown in deeper water. They are terrestrial frogs that like wetland environments but are unable to swim. But, I do think it may have to do with the steep "high" sides of the water sections. If things are gently sloping, I do not see evolution making dart frogs pull the proverbial Lemmings trick (not real I know) and drowning themselves.

Something like this perhaps:
5gallon-paludarium.jpg
paludarium-59025e6c3df78c5456d722bb.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

As opposed to this one:
images.jpg

This looks to meet in the middle-ish:
4936420917_7f8a613e4f_b.jpg

This would allow many critters safe access to the water and easy-ish access for them out of it.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I toyed with the idea of making a seasonal tank from what I see around here. The one that has stood out is making a rice paddy shallow tank with frogs, fish and water bugs such as striders, boatmen, and other food chain critters. With slow enough water movement things like freshwater copepods should survive.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
On dendroboard.com people are often advised to make water shallow as dart frogs apparently do drown in deeper water. They are terrestrial frogs that like wetland environments but are unable to swim. But, I do think it may have to do with the steep "high" sides of the water sections. If things are gently sloping, I do not see evolution making dart frogs pull the proverbial Lemmings trick (not real I know) and drowning themselves.

Something like this perhaps:
View attachment 1337824
View attachment 1337828 View attachment 1337827

As opposed to this one:
View attachment 1337826

This looks to meet in the middle-ish:
View attachment 1337825

This would allow many critters safe access to the water and easy-ish access for them out of it.
Thanks for the info.
I love the set up in the 2nd pic.
I love the marshy swampy wet look of these type of tanks.
I also love the planting opportunities, orchids, bromilaids, ferns and mosses.
I will definitely be looking more into frogs.
I must say the only thing that's slightly puts me off is constant condensation on the front glass. Is there any way of preventing this?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store