Any Bonsai tree Keepers?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What a tranquil looking yard.I like the tree in the second photo that is beteween the green rack and the picture.That cypress is really nice too.

vildotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2006
San Diego, CA
Found some of my pics of my backyard bonsai garden from this past summer. Right now all my tropical trees are inside under lights for the cold protection, and my temperate trees are in cold storage in the shed out back. Usually take them all back out to the garden about mid April once the weather breaks for the spring/summer. The very last pic is my Cypress bonsai which is one of my favorites. It was about twice the height it currently is when I bought it a few years ago and have been pruning and training it for the past 2 years now.

This is a before and after of a ficus forest I have been working on for the past year. This pic here is when a good friends Dad gave it to me before he went into an assisted living home back in April of 2016.....

And this is it today after a year of pruning and training. Still have a lot of leaf reduction to work on as well as trunk thickening to come but it's started down the right path now.

My koi pong which is home to about a half dozen koi at the moment. Thinking about increasing the pond size by about 3xtimes this size in the spring.

very nice trees. I especially like the benjamina forest. I'm so far away from leaf size reduction right now. Just trying to grow the crap out of my trees, probably should've left them in bigger pots for that part. They definitely have room for roots to grow in current pots though.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Thanks guys. krichardson that one in that picture is my boxwood, that's another of my top favorite ones I have. Some guys on the bonsai forum that I take part in feel it is a bit too tall and should be reduced in height by at least 50% but I just like the overall look of it myself and can't bring myself to cut it down in size anymore. I actually got that one a few years ago as a hedge boxwood from Sam's Club for $25. Here is a pic when I first bought it...

Then this was right after it's first pruning and wiring....

And then this is just this past summer now that it has filled in nicely with new growth...

Vildotcom I hear ya about leaving them in bigger pots. Some of mine I should have put in larger grow out boxes to help gain trunk size quicker as well, but sometimes it can be hard to resist getting into a proper bonsai pot ASAP lol. The forest was in that small pot when I got it from my buddies friend but I think I might put it into a larger pot this spring just to help it get some more trunk size to them quicker. I also have two similar sized ficus trees I am thinking about adding to the grouping so I'll probably need a larger pot anyways most likely.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Hey great seeing you all here :) Got a question, is there a bonsai, or should I ask, what could get that requires the least light? Thanks guys

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Hey great seeing you all here :) Got a question, is there a bonsai, or should I ask, what could get that requires the least light? Thanks guys
Ficus would be your best bet for your first bonsai that doesn't require a lot of light all the time . Tiger bark / retusa ficus mainly would be a great species to get. They are easily found at most plant nurseries , they do well inside during the winter, grow very quickly so you will be able to prune it a couple times per year, and they do well with low light. During the summer you can take them outside and they grow like crazy in sunlight, but winter you are fine to bring them inside and they will do fine under a normal lamp.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Ficus would be your best bet for your first bonsai that doesn't require a lot of light all the time . Tiger bark / retusa ficus mainly would be a great species to get. They are easily found at most plant nurseries , they do well inside during the winter, grow very quickly so you will be able to prune it a couple times per year, and they do well with low light. During the summer you can take them outside and they grow like crazy in sunlight, but winter you are fine to bring them inside and they will do fine under a normal lamp.
Thanks for the tips! I'll look out for those. I have a bouganvillea (sp?) and money tree I've had about a year, pretty low light, hardly any growth :/

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Bouganvillea are nice I have two of them trained as bonsai as well. If you haven't ever seen it look for a fertilizer called bougain https://www.amazon.com/BOUGAIN-2lb-Bag-Bougainvillea-Fertilizer/dp/B00CQ5GH1S it's specially made for Bougainvillea and it really works wonders. I started using it on mine last summer and got more growth on them in in 6 months than I had the whole previous two years.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Bouganvillea are nice I have two of them trained as bonsai as well. If you haven't ever seen it look for a fertilizer called bougain https://www.amazon.com/BOUGAIN-2lb-Bag-Bougainvillea-Fertilizer/dp/B00CQ5GH1S it's specially made for Bougainvillea and it really works wonders. I started using it on mine last summer and got more growth on them in in 6 months than I had the whole previous two years.
Awesome!! I will look for that, I love the flowers Bouganvillea produce:)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Back from the dead! My trees are in full bloom. I'm starting to get comfortable wiring and shaping, so the next step is trimming. Lost a couple, so naturally I added a few more.

IMG_2541.JPG

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Back from the dead! My trees are in full bloom. I'm starting to get comfortable wiring and shaping, so the next step is trimming. Lost a couple, so naturally I added a few more.

View attachment 1262250
Mike,I was wondering if you still had that desert rose and how it was doing.I have had mine for almost a year and I don't think has grown much at all....what is your srcret?
Here is an update of what I have been working with.
Starting with my sad looking desert rose.
20170708_144838.jpg
Ponytail
20170708_144811.jpg
Smuggled this one back from an island a few years ago
20170708_144818.jpg
Ficus
20170708_144842.jpg
.......and finally my oldest piece.
20170708_145032.jpg
20170708_144923.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com