Any experienced Oscar Keepers?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I'll point out some general concerns of mine.
A 55gal is not a forever home for an Oscar. If you already have plans great. If not make them soon. Oscar's grow fast and in my opinion should be moved up to a 6ft 125gal when they hit the six to eight inch mark. Also I think your temps may a bit high. I keep mine at 75 and have no issues at all. If you think about the rivers they come from are not 82 year round. Yes in the summer months, but does cool off in winter.

Reactions: Matteus

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
as an FYI clove oil is to put a fish down, not to treat it. Not knowing what it is for sure polyguard be the way i would go, as stated tank small for an Oscar, water changes would need to be to be least 90% or fin level twice a week. link below for polyguard.

keep in mind it is broad spectrum and may send your tank into a mini cycle.

https://www.seachem.com/polyguard.php

I_Talk_2_Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2018
Somewhere in New York
Diet, mostly the floating sticks, which is a live food alternative and an occasional night crawler. He hadn't gotten the night crawlers in a while because of the nitrate levels. He didn't take to kindly when I would put greens in there for him.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
best food for your Oscar is a quality pellet. carni sticks and other high protein treats are a treat, once or twice a week.

Aqueon was my fav but there other. Omega one, north fin, will need to break him to pellets, can take a few weeks, fish be fine.

I_Talk_2_Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2018
Somewhere in New York
Jexnell Jexnell , I do have plans for a bigger tank for him and I will lower the temp back down as I had raised it a few days ago thinking the 75-76 was too cold for him.

pops pops , in my research, I read that clove oil, in small amounts, could be used to sedate, and larger amounts to euthanize. Also, in my research, learned about quality foods (and the preservative called Ethoxyquin) and about a week ago, I had tried to start him on Hikari pellets, (which I feed my Blood Parrots) and that's what I made his medicated food with, Hikari pellets, garlic guard and focus, he isn't eating anything right now, not even the sticks.

Don't recall seeing polyguard, will look into it, thanks!

I_Talk_2_Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2018
Somewhere in New York
Matteus Matteus , thanks for the "Welcome to MFK!"

And yea, I kinda figured the bin would be best but thought I'd ask anyway, cause hey, ya never know... Didn't want to try it and then regret it!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The dose for Epsom salt should be a 1 tbsp per 5g. Can use the polgaurd and see how it responds. Would hold on feeding unless it takes some food ( try metroplex) soaked in Epsom salt sol (1/2cup distilled water and 3/4tsp Epsom salt) can use seachem focus to bind everything into a paste. Numerous causes unfortunately esp since u mentioned it’s one sided. Sounds almost like a tumor but other things need to be considered. Can’t tell from the pics. Need to keep the water super clean.

Clove oil can be used for sedation and/or euthanasia.

Reactions: Matteus and Jexnell

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
so curious as to why sedate? clove can be used as a sedation, I knew this but only to sedate before euthanizing with say Alka-Seltzer I am wondering why sedate for treatment? This is something new to me as in treating an issue with sedation.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store