Any interest in Cryptoheros sajica x nanoluteus hydrid

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
My male Cryptoheros nanoluteus has paired up with a female sajica depite two other female nanoluteus are available in the same tank. They are defending a corner of the tank against all other fish and the video shows that they are fighting a male C. paramensis in the neighborhood. It looks like they will lay eggs soon. Any one interested in the hybrid if the eggs are fertile? I know I am counting on the chickens before they are hatched but if there is interest, I will save some fry.

IMG_1624.jpg IMG_1616.jpg IMG_1618.jpg IMG_1623.jpg

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
IMO the fry shouldn't be allowed to live. If you really want to see what it looks like grow one out but don't let it leave your tnak. I bet it's not as colorful or nice as either parent though. These fish in the Cryptoheros genus can be hard to find as it is and the last thing we should be doing is adding hybrids into the mix to muddy the waters.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I agree. I wouldn't pass them on Andrew. Even though you are being up front about them, the next guy may not. And nanoluteus is on the CARES list. It would be irresponsible to let them hybridize. I would pull the Sajica out.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
No need to remove the sajica as there is no chance for any hybrid fry to grow up in a community tank. I have 4 female sajica, no male, and is interested in buying a male. I can understand why the female sajica goes for the male nano, but can't understand why the male nano is interested in her as there are two other female nano available. These CAs are so closely related, probably from the same stream or lake, and will readily cross breed in confinement.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
No need to remove the sajica as there is no chance for any hybrid fry to grow up in a community tank. I have 4 female sajica, no male, and is interested in buying a male. I can understand why the female sajica goes for the male nano, but can't understand why the male nano is interested in her as there are two other female nano available. These CAs are so closely related, probably from the same stream or lake, and will readily cross breed in confinement.

Reactions: mrrobxc

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
They are from the same genus so it's not that surprising even though they look very different. Two of my favorite fish though. Would love to keep one or both one day.

Reactions: cichlidfish

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
An update on my Nanoleutus / Sajica crossing. They spawn again for the third time and the parents are jealously guarding the wrigglers. I will siphon a few to raise them to see how they will turn out. Both species are beautiful by its own right, so the hybrid should be interesting.

The male Nano color remains nearly the same, but the female Sajica has turned pitch black, so she is more colorful pre spawning. She is the more aggressive of the two.

Pre spawning color
IMG_7370.JPG

IMG_7371.JPG

IMG_7367.JPG

Post spawning color
IMG_7376.JPG

IMG_7356.JPG

IMG_7357.JPG

IMG_7363.JPG

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
No interest at all. I will separate if this happens in my tanks. There is a good chance it could happen since I have a lot of closely related species. But so far keeping groups of the the same species seems to limit the chances of hybridization. A theory I have is hybridization happens mostly due to lack of presence of their own kind. Of course anything can happen. Just think you reduce the chance of hybrids.

Very nice specimens OP.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store