Any interest in Cryptoheros sajica x nanoluteus hydrid

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
In my case, there is availability of female Nano for the male Nano, but no availability of male Sajica for the female Sajica as all my Sajica are female. The male Nano shows no interest of his own kind.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Beautiful female sajica

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Did you get any fry?
In my experience, it is best to do these things:
- get the parents their own tank, alone, so they don't have to worry about defending too much and you don't have to worry about the fry getting eaten when they're free roaming. (this is important for later.)
- once they spawn, leave the fry with the parents for 2-3 weeks. have a grow out tank ready, you'll know when to pull when the babies are swimming all over the tank and the parents are either hunting them down or snacking on them occasionally.
- only feed the parents, and maybe a little extra. the parents will give the babies what they eat (but chewed up) and the babies (free swimming) will be snacking on leftover food and whatnot.
there is a difference in free swimming and what I call "free roaming".
free swimming would be where the fry can swim, but they are reliant on their parents, swim in a school made of the whole batch, and go where the parents go.
free roaming would be where the parents guard over the babies a bit, but other than that the babies just go wherever they want in search of food. a little while after this stage, the parents will start snacking on the babies they can find, most likely getting ready to spawn again.
this is when you pull the fry, as now they are not reliant on the parents and can successfully survive on their own.
i've tried pulling the batch as eggs or the day after they hatched, but they just don't know how to survive on their own too well.
the most I've gotten to with fry on their own would be 2 weeks, but when I leave them with the parents they live awhile longer.
this is what I'm doing with my marbled convicts currently, I just left the babies with the parents until the parents started eating them. sadly i only managed to salvage 10 of the babies, but they are doing pretty well on their own.

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
I know not everyone will agree, but if you have the space and you, personally, want to grow them out then I think that's fine. As long as you're not redistributing them into the hobby, but growing them out for your self. Even selling them as Sajica x Nanoluteus you never know what the person after will say they are and that's bad for the hobby. Because they're hybrids some may look completely different to the others. In my experience Sajica breed like Convicts so that could be partly the reason why he's going for the T-bar. I'd recommend culling most of the fry though and only growing a few out.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
if you go with my method, only like 10 strong and healthy ones come out in the end...
<--here's one of my 9 remaining marbled convict fry.
I let them live in the parents tank for a few weeks, and in that time the parents are killing and eating the sick and weak ones (as well as some randomly dying) and then the parents start to eat them all in the last few days, and that's when I pull the fry.
this spawn I only got 10... one died somewhere down the line but they are now 3 weeks old.
it's not really visible in this picture but the black nose patch that the parents have is starting to show up on some of the babies. hopefully they get their mother's coloration, she has nice blue green fins and blue/black blotching. if they got feature from both parents that would be nice, the male has nice pearly white sides and red fins while the female has blue/green fins with heavy blue/black blotching, as well as her orange belly patch.
my method's only really good if you plan on keeping them, don't have much space, or don't have many places for them to go. I plan on selling 8 of them or auctioning them off... and keeping the one best looking one to grow up and put in my 55 gallon

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I saved about a dozen hybrid fry and here are pics of how one grown up look.

1st and 2nd pics: Hybrid sajica x nano, about 2 inch, that has the birght yellow color of nano father, T-bar and tall body shape of the sajica mother.

3rd pic: Hybrid in front of sajica mother, and 3 other nanos

4th pic: Hybrid in front of sajica

5h pic: Hybrid in front of a nano

The hybrid fry are very robust and I have not lost any from infant mortality that I experienced heavily with pure nano fry.
The sajica juvies I bought and raised weren't hardy either as I lost half of them to bloat.

However, about 10% of the hybrid fry have deformity (missing a portion of the dorsal fin) which I culled. I still have 8 normal hybrid that I am growing out to see how they look.

IMG_5979.jpg IMG_5974.jpg IMG_5967.jpg IMG_5971.jpg IMG_5975.jpg

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I don't think my marbled convicts are even convicts...
the parents stayed small but are pretty colorful, the male has red on his fins, and both of the pair has blue gills and some blue blotching, more so on the female.
That's leading me to believe they're marbled honduran red points, which is good, I've always wanted some.
The pair only lays a few dozen eggs (like hrp's do) and the fry are growing painfully slow.
2 months old and the biggest fry are only about a centimeter long. None have started to show patterning, except one, which is starting to turn a very pale golden color.
there's only 8 fry, 3 of which have deformities.
all 3 have gaping mouths like a blood parrot. one has an oddly shaped head (which again reminds me of a blood parrot, more like the one in my profile picture), one has a slim and elongated body, and the other just has a gaping mouth. all seem to be doing fine, except to one with the slim elongated body. that one's about half the size of the others and seems to be slower growing.
Anyone here know how fast hrp's grow? I'll get pictures of the fry as soon as I can.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
case in point, this member bought "convicts", thinks they are "marbled Honduran red points"... much more likely a hybrid of something, even If they were marbled convict x HRP, that would still be a hybrid.
OP, the fish are very pretty, tho I do hope they stay as personal pets. Not to start that debate here...

Reactions: Trimapit and dan518
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store