any one here with butterfly loaches

CHUPA CABRA

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2008
Lawrence MA
Whats up guys?
I have 10 butterfly loaches and they are very healthy but i never see them eating nothing but algae.
What kind of foods do you feed your butterfly loaches? Maybe i can try something new

Thanks

Reactions: Alistair

Alistair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
India
Whats up guys?
I have 10 butterfly loaches and they are very healthy but i never see them eating nothing but algae.
What kind of foods do you feed your butterfly loaches? Maybe i can try something new

Thanks
Hey, I have 5 of them in a tank to themselves. I feed them crushed Hikari Cichlid Gild, Tetra Bits and intend to get some sinking algae wafers too. The trick is crushing the pellets, so that the fragments are pretty small. These guys are used to eating the algae and micro organisms that grow along with it covering rocks, that are generally pretty small. If you ovserve closely, you can see them eat. They go nuts when I drop the pellets in.

Do share some pics when you get the chance to.

Barbs and Barbels

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
I have twenty four or so in a forty gallon river manifold tank. I started with five. After they started reproducing I added panda garra and the baby production turned off. They were more fun to watch before the panda garra, more fighting and the constant search for the tiny young ones.

The p. garra are a hoot so I don't feel like I'm missing out. They are fed Rapashy and of course they graze all the time.

Reactions: Alistair

Alistair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
India
I have twenty four or so in a forty gallon river manifold tank. I started with five. After they started reproducing I added panda garra and the baby production turned off. They were more fun to watch before the panda garra, more fighting and the constant search for the tiny young ones.

The p. garra are a hoot so I don't feel like I'm missing out. They are fed Rapashy and of course they graze all the time.
Nice, do share some pics if possible. I added 4 more gastromyzon species to the existing 5 sewellia species. I need to upgrade the tank though. They are in a species only tank as of now.

Barbs and Barbels

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Those are actually pretty good pics, especially for a phone. I have to post some more before I can link to my photos.

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com

Barbs and Barbels

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Mine are also in a stream manifold tank. It was originally set up for the hillstream loaches but as I said I added panda garra. Since then I have added rosey barbs and red panda barbs. My sumo loaches are in a 125 gallon manifold set up with barillius canarensis, clown barbs and mascara barbs.

The hillstream loaches and panda garra are fed Rapashy soilent green and sinking veggie tablets. Of course they graze the rocks constantly as do the garra.

Reactions: FishBeast

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
Mine are also in a stream manifold tank. It was originally set up for the hillstream loaches but as I said I added panda garra. Since then I have added rosey barbs and red panda barbs. My sumo loaches are in a 125 gallon manifold set up with barillius canarensis, clown barbs and mascara barbs.

The hillstream loaches and panda garra are fed Rapashy soilent green and sinking veggie tablets. Of course they graze the rocks constantly as do the garra.
Ooh I have panda garra too! One of my faves! Just set up a manifold tank as well, but a lot smaller (75G). I'm looking into sumos and also stream gobies to add. I have sewellia, gastromyzon loaches. White clouds and some shrimp

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store