Any suggestions?

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
I have a 125g tank with a tiger oscar, 2 small bala sharks, a small pictus cat, 5 tiger barbs, a pleco, and an african cichlid in it. My problem is that I introduced a green severum about two days ago and this morning I noticed that it has ich. It was fine last night but this morning it is covered in the stuff. I quarantined the severum and have begun treatment for it. I did a cleaning on the 125g and have started to try and raise the temp in it to at least 86. For some reason I can't get it above 80 right now. I was concerned for the pleco and the pictus cat so I bought some aquarium salt and disolved a cup of it in water and slowly added that to the tank. Is this amount of salt going to be enough to treat the ich in the 125g?

chloe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
portsmouth/southampton/crawley, UK
cant remember how much salt to gallon it is but it sounds like your doing the right thing and nice and quick too. but yep sounds like a another ehater might just bump it up for you.
keep us updated

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
I have 3 heaters going in it now. Lol Only one of them is staying on all the time though. Maybe it will slowly come on up.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Quarantine is pointless. Once everyone has ich including the new arrivals, treat everyone in the same tank where they are in. Moving them around is adding stress. Next time, quarantine new arrivals for four weeks whether your source is your friend or not. Dose a tablespoon per 5g table salt. Remember to dissolve and add slowly when you do.

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
The only reason I quarantined is because the severum was the only one with the ich showing and I didnt want it spreading any worse in the tank than it already had.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
lighthouse39183;2443937; said:
The only reason I quarantined is because the severum was the only one with the ich showing and I didnt want it spreading any worse in the tank than it already had.
Quarantine will not negate the ich in any way possible. If I were in your situation, I wouldn't quarantine the sev and treat them all straight away.

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
I'm treating them all. I just figured it would be best to treat the severum in a quarantine tank because of the ich infesting the gravel and tank as it continues to mature. Next time I will know better and just treat it in the same tank. No other fish have been showing signs of ich. I really don't understand how the severum went from normal to being completely covered with this stuff overnight. It is like a crystal grain covering the entire fish. I just have to guess that it is ich. It sounds like it according to the description. Just figured that getting it out of the tank with the other fish was the thing to do and then treat both tanks.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
I can guess that the severum already had ich in its gill tissues and since it was transported, naturally, the severum will be stressed. Ich can sense when their host is stressed and will strike at that opportunity.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Agreed with Lupin. should have QT the servum before adding to the 125.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store