Any suggestions?

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
Yes, I will definately quarantine new fish from now on. Guess you learn from your mistakes. Is the 1 cup of disolved aquarium salt enough to take care of the ich if I can get the heat up to 86 or above?

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
lighthouse39183;2444065; said:
Yes, I will definately quarantine new fish from now on. Guess you learn from your mistakes. Is the 1 cup of disolved aquarium salt enough to take care of the ich if I can get the heat up to 86 or above?
If it amounts to 25 tablespoons for the 125g, then it should be.

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
Will that amount kill my pictus catfish? I read that they are more sensitive to salt.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
lighthouse39183;2444080; said:
Will that amount kill my pictus catfish? I read that they are more sensitive to salt.
Dissolving and adding slowly will minimize stress on bottom dwellers. Actually, most people never even dissolve the salt so this explains why most catfish die quickly from salt yet they blame the salt and not their actions. The grains can burn their skin. I made that mistake before. I dissolved it and there hasn't been negative issues with my loaches and catfish.

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
Ok, I'll add more disolved salt in the morning. Hopefully I can get the temp up to the 86 or above range also. Thank you so much for your help.

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
Well everyone seems to be doing fine this morning. Swimming happily and eating. I'm slowly adding the rest of the salt today. Still can't get the tank temp up to 86. I guess I'll just have to let the salt do the trick. Temp is still around 80. Severum is doing good. He looks better today but still has alot of ich covering him, which is to be expected. I'm going to do a water change on his tank and start salt treatment for him also.

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
I have slowly added most of the salt and now my pictus catfish is doing rapid figure eights at the front of the tank. It keeps swimming up to the top of the water. Is is distressed?

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
No one in the 125g has shown any signs of this ich. I have the water temp up and have added all the salt. All the fish are showing no symptoms of stress or ich. No spots on any of the fish that I can see. However my little severum is still covered from head to tail with this stuff. It doesnt look like it has improved at all really. I added the salt to the 10g that it is in and have the temp up. I figured that the white spots on the fish would be breaking open by now. Do I just need to give it more time? The severum doesnt look like it is distressed.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
What's the temperature there right now? Just give them a varied diet to boost their immune system and restrict your lighting to a few hours only to avoid stressing them out.

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
My little severum is getting better. I have him in a 10g with salt, Melafix, and IchAttack. I'm double dosing on the IchAttack until it has no spots left then will continue treating for 4 days after the last spot goes away. I added the Melafix because it had some fin damage and some scales missing on it's side. It is eating good and seems to be having no problems. I'm feeding a small amount of tropical flake food in the mornings only. Poor little thing keeps coming up to the side of the tank everytime I go in to check on it. I added some poly fiber to my filter since I had to take my cartridge out because of the carbon. Tank is staying clear. I dosed with AmQuel Plus to help with the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, although the tank is still within the parameters. Hopefully the last spots of ich will be gone within a few days. How long do I need to keep it in the 10g before placing it back into my 125g? I have started dosing the 125g with the IchAttack also. Although none of the fish in it have any spots. I just couldnt get the temp up above 80 but I do have the salt added. I took out the carbon from the FX5 and put the poly fiber in my top two baskets. The filter is still running quietly. So how am I doing so far besides quarantine of the severum when I should have treated him where he was?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store