Anybody else have a cephalosilurus apurensis?

bezza83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
Ashford kent united kingdom
I have just purchased one of these that's small, about 1 and half inch in length.
I 've been told that they max out at under a foot by the man in the shop but reading on line some say they get bigger. Any one have one of these any what size are yours?
I know there is a few types of them and mine is apurensis!

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
It's unusual that c. apurensis come in in such a small size, usually they're imported at around 5" or so. In any case they do grow much larger than 11' and as much as I'm a fan of PlanetCatfish, their information is incorrect regarding this species and the note that says they are smaller than c. fowleri. I have had a c. fowleri for many years and it's 17 1/2" long. I raised up a c. apurensis from 5" to 20" in a period of around 2 1/2 years and sold it two years ago as it was too large for it's tank. I talked to it's current owner and it has since grown to 22" and has become much larger in girth. If I recall, mine was a female which grow to larger sizes than males. I have seen photos and read reports of them growing to at least 24" in a few cases..
Here's a pic of mine @ 20"
Apur-4.jpg

Apur-4.jpg

bezza83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
well at the moment its in a 55g grow out and will be going in the 200g when bigger. My only worry is it not getting on with my motoro ray. Its a 13 inch disk male so shouldn't be able to eat it.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I respect Yellowcat's experience on Cephalosiluruses and his opinions are valuable. I think I have had three different ones but I was never sure of their IDs. Wolfgang Ross, the known expert on these fish, helped me with the IDs (on H2O...wolves - my thread now is inaccessable - the site is falling apart) but his IDs did not correspond to what is written on PCF. I am not sure if his IDs would be in sync with Yellowcat's or not. Here are mine (5th page): http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=29488&hilit=+pet+catfish&start=80

Hence, to answer your question: since I cannot help you with an ID, I cannot help you with the final sizes.

This thread of mine could be helpful too: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30284&hilit=cephalosilurus

PS PCF is not perfect but lots of people work everyday to improve it. This genus needs serious re-work as I suggested. I am sure it is just a matter of time.

bezza83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
Thank you yellow cat and the bigger the better.
I had read the links you had provided before posting this thread and I'm thrilled you both responded.
I can see that it's quite a grey area on anything to do with this species and a lot of contrasting opinions.
I always like to research what I'm letting myself in for especially if risks are involved. From what I have read I believe the size will vary mainly depending on the sex and what it is fed.
As for compatibility it's going to have to be a trial an error I guess, although this is where I am most concerned about having read of a fatality when housed with rays. What I do know is that, what does work for some, doesn't work for others.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
B: ... I had read the links you had provided before posting this thread...
TBTB: Excellent! You are two steps ahead of me :)

B: ... From what I have read I believe the size will vary mainly depending on the sex and what it is fed.
TBTB: I'd say mainly the species and then sex and diet. Although Yellowcat and PCF do not match, they both say different species get different sizes - fowleri, apurensis, and nigrocaudus. So too does FishBase.

B: As for compatibility it's going to have to be a trial an error I guess, although this is where I am most concerned about having read of a fatality when housed with rays. What I do know is that, what does work for some, doesn't work for others.
TBTB: Absolutely true. Only when one has 100 data points can they start generalizing.

Care to provide a pic so we are assured of at least the right genus? In sync in Yellowcat, I have never seen them for sale so small as you say 1.5".

bezza83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
When I rang the Lfs the man said it was that size on Friday well today I looked at it and it's probably 2 inches ( i'm sure it has grown a bit already)but has eaten one of the convict babies I put in there so looks bigger. Yes I will definately get a picture the grow out is in my parents garage as my main tank takes up so much room but tomorrow when i go I will get a picture and upload ASAP.

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Thanks to TBTB for his excellent input as always and all the links provided as I'd almost forgotten about all the back-and-forth on the subject of size on PlanetCatfish. As far as species I.D., a pic would of course be most helpful but as juveniles their appearance is very similar. One easy way to verify the correct species is to ask your LFS where it was imported from. c. nigricaudus exist only in Suriname and are rare in the hobby, never could find on here in the U.S. and I tried. C. fowleri exist only in one river system in Brazil, the Sao Francisco. C. apurensis exist in a few rivers, mostly in Venezuela and in some in Colombia I believe, at least they seem to be exported mostly from those 2 countries..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store