" Anyone Ever Thought of TANNING Your Silver Aro?"

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
prophets;711506; said:
Pack up the aro..take it with you to Aruba or Cancun and lie out in the sun for hours on end. :ROFL:
Hmmmm......arowana sunburn>?:ROFL:

Reactions: jjohnwm

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
A little late to the party on this thread from 2007 A Apad

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
A little late to the party on this thread from 2007 A Apad
Ha ha just a little late (I recently replied to a 2012 thread without noticing lol). That said, nice looking silver A Apad -- though I am curious if you've achieved that with tanning (using UVA & UVB lighting) or is that just the effect of using pink & blue LED lighting -- or perhaps both?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Tanning a aro 24/7 can’t be good it’s like putting your child outside in the mid day sun with no sun cream on
In the wild all aria stay under the shade of over hanging trees and plants where they get shade from the sun and have access to food

Reactions: islandguy11

Apad

Feeder Fish
Apr 22, 2019
Malaysia
Ha ha just a little late (I recently replied to a 2012 thread without noticing lol). That said, nice looking silver A Apad -- though I am curious if you've achieved that with tanning (using UVA & UVB lighting) or is that just the effect of using pink & blue LED lighting -- or perhaps both?
I'm using both and a little trick that brings up the color, the super red koi pellet.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I'm using both and a little trick that brings up the color, the super red koi pellet.
Well in that case we'd have to see a pic of your Aro with just regular white lighting (and no blue/pink LED) to see the true effect of your tanning process.

Also I'd guess your feeding the Koi pellet as just a supplement, right not main feed (as Aros are carnivores and have quite different dietary needs than omnivorous koi).

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Aint tanning supposed to give a darker shade to arowana?
Yep, in fact I've read about Gold Xback owners who for some reason tried tanning and it seemed to have caused splotchy dark spots (sunburn) on their fish; not sure if the effect was permanent or not but I could see the same happening with a silver if overdone.

Reactions: Polyaddict86
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store