Anyone Have Experience Keeping Datnoids w/Giant Gouramis?

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
As the title states. I'm ideally hoping to hear from anyone who has kept them togeather past the juvenille stages.

I have been reading on Giants recently and am considering getting one to go along with a datnoid of similar size (~4"). I am aware for the growth rate differential between the two species and have kept Datnoids for many years of varying sizes but never a Giant Gourami.

I'm not so much concerned about keeping them togeather when they're smaller in a 180g tank but as they mature I'm not finding a wealth of info on people keeping these togeather.

fish nerd 84

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
tennessee
I will be able to shed some light on the subject in a few weeks. I have 3 chunky 3inch Indo dats in my 150 and I am growing out 3 red tailed giant gourami that I got a few weeks ago at 1.5inches. I will say that from what I have read and seen by watching the gourami interact with each other, is that they do possess a temper slightly milder than my datnoids.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Gage Zamrzla Gage Zamrzla , I have never had a giant gourami however, one of the members on our South African forum has a 65cm one with 4 Oscars and a Leopard pleco
One of the Oscars is quite agro towards the other oscars and the gourami breaks up the fight by going inbetween and protects the smaller Oscar
I know its not datnoids but.. just an idea of its character

But again as we all know, character also varies from fish to fish..

Reactions: Gage Zamrzla

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
I will be able to shed some light on the subject in a few weeks. I have 3 chunky 3inch Indo dats in my 150 and I am growing out 3 red tailed giant gourami that I got a few weeks ago at 1.5inches. I will say that from what I have read and seen by watching the gourami interact with each other, is that they do possess a temper slightly milder than my datnoids.
Please do report back, I'd be interested to hear youe findings.

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Gage Zamrzla Gage Zamrzla , I have never had a giant gourami however, one of the members on our South African forum has a 65cm one with 4 Oscars and a Leopard pleco
One of the Oscars is quite agro towards the other oscars and the gourami breaks up the fight by going inbetween and protects the smaller Oscar
I know its not datnoids but.. just an idea of its character

But again as we all know, character also varies from fish to fish..
Agreed when talking about fish to fish's character and thanks for the lead. I will check the SA threada for that info.

Reactions: MariaS

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I have never kept GG, but I have kept smaller species, dwarf, three spot, pearl, opaline (I think a three spot morph), something labelled "Dwarf Giant" (not sure what it really was, its been a long time)
This is a pretty good description of gourami behavior. They don't like other fish getting rough in their tanks and will stop aggression. Against smaller cichlids with comparable size, they are really good fighters. They are very vulnerable to nipping, especially on their feelers. They can decide they don't like another fish, and if they do... they will eliminate it, but this is pretty rare from what I have seen, although some people seem to think otherwise.

Reactions: MariaS

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
My friend grew his GG and indo together and today they are almost 22-24" in size and are awesome to. Look at

Reactions: Gage Zamrzla

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Reactions: J. H.

fishdat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2014
Western Canada
I know this is an older post, but I figured I'd give my ¢2. I have a rtgg with a six bar distichodus, oscar, flagtail, and some others. There used to be a black shark and lemon fin barb. The oscar decided he didn't like the black shark and lemon barb, so he and the rtgg killed them both. The oscar is starting to dislike my six bar and now the rtgg occasionally attacks it. Lots of muscle means lots of damage.

But the stockier cichlid shaped fish seem almost always in the clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store