Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
If anyone's seen my other thread I talked about crossing two completely different species of cichlids...
I was wondering how a convict x texas would work. Main difference here is one is nearly twice the size of the other. I was wondering how the personality would turn out, what the size of the hybrid would be, and what it would generally look like.
I was also wondering if a red texas x convict was ever made, and how it would turn out.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Check out the sticky in the hybrid section. It has pics of all sorts of combos of cichlids. Just be responsible if you do breed hybrids, and dont distribute them to lfs and stuff. Use them as pets or feeders

SmokeyDaScarecrow

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2018
Australia
Check out the sticky in the hybrid section. It has pics of all sorts of combos of cichlids. Just be responsible if you do breed hybrids, and dont distribute them to lfs and stuff. Use them as pets or feeders
I am just wondering why you shouldn't distribute Hybrids? I mean people do sell Mi-devil, and flowerhorn hybrids. it should be fine as long as you state that it is a hybrid.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
A midevil is a "catch all" phrase that 9 times out of 10 doesnt mean its a hybrid of the two, but that the fish cant be traced back to where they originated from.
As far as why you shouldnt distribute a random hybrid like that, is that when you breed fish A with fish B, the fry wont come out as a 50/50 of their parents. Some may, but most tend to look like one or the other. And when you take those fish to lfs and such, there is no guaruntee that they wont just sell them as one or the other. And all it takes is someone to buy the "texas looking hybrid" as a texas to get a breeding pair. Then before you know it, half your state has these off looking texas cichlids.. Hope im making sence, im typing this at 5am lol. But you see how that can go. Flowerhorn are their own deal, and are 10s if not 100s of generations line bred, so they dont throw random fry like your "conxtexas" will

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Whenever you cross two species a certain % will look like the mother, another % will look like the father, and the rest a varying combination of the two. And as usual a number (perhaps 5%) with be malformed.(Still all hybrids no matter what they look like)
And until you grow them out to at least a few inches, it may not be obvious which is which.
The problem with distributing them is, to a certain percentage of fish keepers hybrids are undesirable mutts (I am in that category, I find hybrids to be totally worthless), and many times LFSs being ignorant, or greedy or ???? might sell them one or the other, or as a pure bred, or won't give (or even know) what they are.
Or the person bringing them in calls them one or the other, or doesn't disclose they are hybrids.
Because everybody and their sister are crossing fish these days, I find it impossible to go into a store, and believe the fish being sold is what they say it is.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Lee nuttal has a great article about the harm Caused to the hobby by hybrids.

If you do spawn any- like everyone else said use them as feeders or never let it leave your own tank.

Reactions: Toiletcar

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
A midevil is a "catch all" phrase that 9 times out of 10 doesnt mean its a hybrid of the two, but that the fish cant be traced back to where they originated from.
As far as why you shouldnt distribute a random hybrid like that, is that when you breed fish A with fish B, the fry wont come out as a 50/50 of their parents. Some may, but most tend to look like one or the other. And when you take those fish to lfs and such, there is no guaruntee that they wont just sell them as one or the other. And all it takes is someone to buy the "texas looking hybrid" as a texas to get a breeding pair. Then before you know it, half your state has these off looking texas cichlids.. Hope im making sence, im typing this at 5am lol. But you see how that can go. Flowerhorn are their own deal, and are 10s if not 100s of generations line bred, so they dont throw random fry like your "conxtexas" will
At the store I used to work at we would get convicts from a bunch of different people locally. The majority of them would have a deformity of the pectoral fins, possibly from coming from the pairing of an original pair. I feel like that's how it would work out with even a passable convict hybrid. They would disperse into the local market and eventually farther.

Reactions: mattison187

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Whenever you cross two species a certain % will look like the mother, another % will look like the father, and the rest a varying combination of the two. And as usual a number (perhaps 5%) with be malformed.(Still all hybrids no matter what they look like)
And until you grow them out to at least a few inches, it may not be obvious which is which.
The problem with distributing them is, to a certain percentage of fish keepers hybrids are undesirable mutts (I am in that category, I find hybrids to be totally worthless), and many times LFSs being ignorant, or greedy or ???? might sell them one or the other, or as a pure bred, or won't give (or even know) what they are.
Or the person bringing them in calls them one or the other, or doesn't disclose they are hybrids.
Because everybody and their sister are crossing fish these days, I find it impossible to go into a store, and believe the fish being sold is what they say it is.
My lfs offers the pedigree of any of their cichlids, koi or goldfish to anyone who asks and will tell you IDK if the don't know. Not all LFS's are anywhere near that bad.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I mean if it's an indistinguishable hybrid like a midevil or some random convict mix (like a regional variant of a.siquia crossed to a.nigrofasicata that just looks like a weird convict) then that's a problem. as stated before, not telling the 'ingredients' of the hybrid can also lead to problems... but i mean bp's and fh's have integrated pretty well into the hobby. i'm pretty sure my pair of 'mabled convicts' have some hrp in them somewhere... they were sold as 'platinum marbled a.nigrofasicatum' but then my male has red on his fins and blue gills, he's also more white and pearly rather than an opaque white with the pinkish head and all. and the female has some blue splotches with her black blotches too, as well as blue fins.
If you say what the hybrid is it usually works out better... I remember at the BFD a guy was selling hybrid angels, but telling people what they were made of...
not that i'd be selling any red texas x convict fry but...

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

SmokeyDaScarecrow

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2018
Australia
You and Duanes (hope i spelt correctly) are correct i was just saying that i dint see the harm in stating it. But yes i dont partically find Hybrids generally attractive but i still wont make a issue out of it because i will look for something pure.

Reactions: mattison187
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store