Anyone keep RES turtle's with their cichlids?

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
View attachment 1360110
Well that was easy.. I just signed into my old icloud and downloaded one of the pics. I miss this set up. Just couldnt bring them when i moved.
Note: In this picture the water level is a few inches higher than usual and I took off the heat lamp for a better picture.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
It did for awhile, once the turtle reaches around 4-6+ inches,she was too heavy for the doc and it would sink into the water some and could never get completely dry. Then I upgraded to an above tank basking area with UVB bulbs and all the goodies.
Oh ok I just purchased a large zoo med doc. Hopefully it works out otherwise I'll create a DIY dock using egg crates.

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Oh ok I just purchased a large zoo med doc. Hopefully it works out otherwise I'll create a DIY dock using egg crates.
My turtle was a dummy and would pry off the bottom cups by pushing his way inbetween the wall and the bar holding the cups lol. Overall the suction is pretty good. Will last you a while hopefully, but recommend the DIY when closer to adult size.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Tried it for a little while years back with a large-ish buttikoferi and two RES's. The Butti would attack the turtles, who were unfazed, but the turtles would nip back at the fish, and their bites were much more effective. If they chomp down on something they do not let go- one almost took my finger off once. They started to nip the Butti and I moved it to a Rubbermaid tub so it wouldn't be seriously injured. Basically, I guess it depends on your turtles, but I wouldn't recommend trying it. Because even if it seems like they ignore the fish; if they do get curious one day, one bite could equal a fish with a huge wound.

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
I keep a False Map Turtle and Eastern Painted Turtle with my fish in a standard 135g aquarium. The turtles generally leave the fish alone. The painted turtle will chase them a bit if I don't feed him for a while.

The fish and turtles do compete for food. When I feed treats, like earthworms or prawns, the fish often steal from the turtles.

The turtles are both only 4" or so at the moment. They are with a Green Terror (A. rivulatus, female about 6" or 7"), a pair of Yellow Convicts (A. nanoluteus), about 12 yellow convict fry, 5 or 6 clown barbs, 5 or 6 Sterbai Cories, a hoplo catfish, and 3 bristlenose plecos.

I am setting up another tank in which to raise the nanoluteus fry and perhaps breed my plecos, and eventually I would like to get another 6 foot tank. Maybe a 125g as I have to separate the turtles from each other. THey're both males. I have a divider in the tank right now but I'd prefer to get them their own aquaria. I plan to build an outdoor pond for them this spring/summer, and if things go to plan they can each have their own tank (to share with fish) next fall.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Tried it for a little while years back with a large-ish buttikoferi and two RES's. The Butti would attack the turtles, who were unfazed, but the turtles would nip back at the fish, and their bites were much more effective. If they chomp down on something they do not let go- one almost took my finger off once. They started to nip the Butti and I moved it to a Rubbermaid tub so it wouldn't be seriously injured. Basically, I guess it depends on your turtles, but I wouldn't recommend trying it. Because even if it seems like they ignore the fish; if they do get curious one day, one bite could equal a fish with a huge wound.
How large were the turtles in relation? Iconsider it
Couple old photos of the setup I had my turtles and butti in for good measure. I had DIY'd a basking area for the turts out of wood, acrylic, and astroturf.
View attachment 1360135
View attachment 1360134
Really cool setup! I like how it's on the side of the aquarium it's rare to see.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I keep a False Map Turtle and Eastern Painted Turtle with my fish in a standard 135g aquarium. The turtles generally leave the fish alone. The painted turtle will chase them a bit if I don't feed him for a while.

The fish and turtles do compete for food. When I feed treats, like earthworms or prawns, the fish often steal from the turtles.

The turtles are both only 4" or so at the moment. They are with a Green Terror (A. rivulatus, female about 6" or 7"), a pair of Yellow Convicts (A. nanoluteus), about 12 yellow convict fry, 5 or 6 clown barbs, 5 or 6 Sterbai Cories, a hoplo catfish, and 3 bristlenose plecos.

I am setting up another tank in which to raise the nanoluteus fry and perhaps breed my plecos, and eventually I would like to get another 6 foot tank. Maybe a 125g as I have to separate the turtles from each other. THey're both males. I have a divider in the tank right now but I'd prefer to get them their own aquaria. I plan to build an outdoor pond for them this spring/summer, and if things go to plan they can each have their own tank (to share with fish) next fall.
Nice glad to see a GT getting along with them. That's one fish on my radar.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store