Anyone know the answer?

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
So I've notice for some time now that little clowns seem to swim up against the face of my big clowns. It doesn't matter when or time of day they'll swim right at its face like it's trying to bite it's eye. Sometimes I'll have 3 small clowns up against my bigger one as it swims... They annoy the big one every time. Anyone know the reasoning to this? It's always some smaller one doing it to another that's bigger... Botia's I have will do the same to the big clowns.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
That's a very interesting observation.
I wonder if the complex social structure between a group of them has anything to do with it, perhaps on a submissive basis such as a pack of wolves will display pecking order and subordinate animals will often great alpha animals submissively and lick/mouth at their faces.
On the flip side I doubt there's much similarity between fish and mammal social structure but it's an example that came to mind.

Can't say I've seen this behaviour in my group, sizes range from around 4" up to 11", I just tend to notice the arguing over food and occasional power struggles between them

Reactions: adormydero

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
That's a very interesting observation.
I wonder if the complex social structure between a group of them has anything to do with it, perhaps on a submissive basis such as a pack of wolves will display pecking order and subordinate animals will often great alpha animals submissively and lick/mouth at their faces.
On the flip side I doubt there's much similarity between fish and mammal social structure but it's an example that came to mind.

Can't say I've seen this behaviour in my group, sizes range from around 4" up to 11", I just tend to notice the arguing over food and occasional power struggles between them
Yeah maybe it is some kind of pecking order. I'm shocked you haven't seen it yet. I have two tanks going with clowns and they do it in both. My other tank has 5-11inch clowns and I've noticed the 5-6inchers doing it to my 11inch guy. Another else notice this ?

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
Mine does this every now and then. The smallest ones like 5-6" and they like hang on and chase the big 12" and it really pisses the 12" one off!

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
does this happen all the time? or only after a meaty feeding? Younger males tend to get overly excited after a big feeding. Are the bigger ones females with smaller males harassing them?

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
does this happen all the time? or only after a meaty feeding? Younger males tend to get overly excited after a big feeding. Are the bigger ones females with smaller males harassing them?
Yeah it happens a couple times a week. Not sure what sex they all are. It's not just the smaller clown doing it to the big one but my botia's will do it to the big clown as well.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I've seen my group do the same thing. Definitely a status/pecking order thing. The little ones hover on the bigger loaches, especially around their faces. Even brand new additions to the school will do it within several days time.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
I've seen my group do the same thing. Definitely a status/pecking order thing. The little ones hover on the bigger loaches, especially around their faces. Even brand new additions to the school will do it within several days time.
I'm glad others are seeing the too... It would be nice if there were vids of these fish in the wild interacting with one another and we could get a chance to see it.

PseudaSmart

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
Michigan
The only additional thought I had after watching clowns for so long was the smaller ones we riding the "bow" wake of the larger one for fun. When it came to feeding time it only took one loud click noise from big one to send the others away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store