Apartments

cmj15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Morgantown, West Virginia
yes the multiple tanks in a small apartment. for example in my parent's house which is like 30 years old, i wouldn't have been able to support 200gallons of aquariums and the room was fairly large, but as said before a true answer couldn't be reached unless you know the dimensions, materials, and structural plan of the apartment and the building

caoder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Montreal
apartments are made out of different materials depending on location, quality, age, and structural necessity. Please describe the apartment building in which these tanks may go in. as in how many stories, what kind of outside material, how does the floor feel when you jump inside it, high rise or just a 4 story tall building. Where you live. such as colder areas tend to use more concrete and temperate areas tend to use lots of wood. Any of that information would be able to tell us more about what the possible load the floor can take. Overall most floors are not designed to hold tons of weight so keep that in mind.

Also if the landlord cleared it, they probably believe that it can withstand the weight of the systems, but of course you might want to consult him again with that concern.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
just curious say I decided to get corner 54 gallon and switched it out with the standard 55g. Would the that help at all and obviously the tank would be placed in the corner.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Just read thru this thread and it seems that the type of floor structure has not been mentioned. To even guess about the benefits of a corner tank will at least depend on that information. Is it a wood floor on joists? Is it a thick concrete poured floor? Is it a thin concrete layer over a basic wood floor? Is it some other sort of construction?

For example it may not help on a wood floor with joists if the 55 was going to be set at 90 degrees to the joists to begin with. If the 55 was to be set running parallel to joists, then there might be a slight advantage as the corner tank might catch a few more joists. The bigger problem appears to be that when set up in only one room, some of the tanks will have to run parallel to joists (assuming this is the type of floor). Those along the wall in the middle and parallel to the joists will affect the joists the most.

Before building and testing model bridges to destruction, my classes did an activity to demonstrate this concept. We took three different lengths of of the bridge material, supported them at the ends and added weight at the center untill the material broke or bent a lot. It always took less weight to cause failure as the length increased.

I do not have enough information to know, but sort of doubt that changing to a corner tank will be of much help to the overall issue.

I have had to expand and reduce the number of set up tanks several times over the decades as a result of moving to different rental places. I always had at least one tank, some times only one ten gallon, but often had a few more. Perhaps you can get a fish shop or friend to take some of your stock and get the number of set up tanks down to a less questionable level for a time. You do not have to stay in this place forever and the landlord is OK with tanks, so you can have more than one at any rate.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Thank for all the input guys. The lease fell through. Problems with the dog. Back to hunting. When I settle on the next place i will share the details about the floor. In the meantime I am going to leave my tanks as they are.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store