API vs Seachem

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
What’s your thoughts of these two products? Anyone have complaints of either one? I’m specifically talking about API Stress Coat and Seachems equivalent. But also any other products these manufacturers make for freshwater use.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
API Stress Coat is sodium thiosulfate based, at least that has always been my understanding, the company won't answer that question directly - so fine for chlorine, but will not deal with the resulting ammonia release if one has chloramine treated tap water. In that regards Seachem Safe is far more economical.

Reactions: Castlk and tlindsey

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
API Stress Coat is sodium thiosulfate based, at least that has always been my understanding, the company won't answer that question directly - so fine for chlorine, but will not deal with the resulting ammonia release if one has chloramine treated tap water. In that regards Seachem Safe is far more economical.
What do you think about using Stress coat.for slime coat or helping heal damage on a fish? I use Safe mostly but I keep stress coat around in case I see a fish get injured. I wonder if it makes a difference that I've used Stress Coat with injuries in the past or if the damaged would've healed anyway with just the clean water from water changes?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
What do you think about using Stress coat.for slime coat or helping heal damage on a fish? I use Safe mostly but I keep stress coat around in case I see a fish get injured. I wonder if it makes a difference that I've used Stress Coat with injuries in the past or if the damaged would've healed anyway with just the clean water from water changes?

Having aggressive/territorial cichlids, I never really saw a difference adding Stress Coat (had a free sample) for the injuries that happened. They healed up pretty much around the same amount of time without using it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I personally don't believe in adding stress coat additives. Kosher salt is much cheaper, and probably just as effective.

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
I’m pretty impressed with stress coat. Regrew a large chunk of missing top fin on it really fast.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with RD, I don't see the point in these products, and don't use either.
I use a dechlorinator for water changes, and salt for injuries or ick (NaCl) not aquarium salt (any old salt is fine salt, rock salt, water softer salt, even iodized table salt ,again simply NaCl)
I also believe many fish in tanks end up iodine deficient, hence my "non-opposition" to iodized salt (I consider the notion that iodized salt is bad, a myth)

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I also believe many fish in tanks end up iodine deficient
Interesting, that's one of the reasons that I feed aquatic plant matter such as kelp, seaweed, etc to all of my fish a few times a week, including those classified as carnivores.

Last edited:

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I’m pretty impressed with stress coat. Regrew a large chunk of missing top fin on it really fast.
My biggest Loach scraped her head on a rock once and it healed up nicely. I used stress coat in water but again, it might have healed up the same with just my extra water changes using Safe.

I agree with RD, I don't see the point in these products, and don't use either.
I use a dechlorinator for water changes, and salt for injuries or ick (NaCl) not aquarium salt (any old salt is fine salt, rock salt, water softer salt, even iodized table salt ,again simply NaCl)
I also believe many fish in tanks end up iodine deficient, hence my "non-opposition" to iodized salt (I consider the notion that iodized salt is bad, a myth)
I haven't researched the issue but I think I read I couldn't use salt with certain fish like plecos? Or is there a smaller dose that would be fine for them?

Any issues with clien loaches and salt?

If both Duanes and RD think Stress Coat isn't worth it, I think I'm willing to stop buying it after I use up my current unopened gallon jug of it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
With salt sensitive fish just throw plenty of fresh water at them, short of any type of serious injury, when kept in optimum conditions most fish heal up just fine on their own.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store