APISTOGRAMMA AND OTHER NEW WORLD DWARF CICHLIDS

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
There are so far four natural geographic color morphs or borelli ... blue, yellow, opal, and blue opal ... so yes, several can be all blue.

bl00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Baltimore
rootpro6;2495741; said:
well the face of my borellis are blue and so is the body! So I take it they r young?
Well, the colors appear to some degree regardless of age and sex, I believe, but as they grow the fins will develop.

c4cat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
australia
Love these guys, unfortunatley them fem didnt make it (.. ummm slight large rock accident).
A. macmasteri

004.JPG

rootpro6

Feeder Fish
Dec 3, 2008
Chicago
is it common for the bigger one to chase what I hope is the smaller female around alot and get it out of it's territory??

BIGJ67

Jack Dempsey
Dec 29, 2008
FRESH MEADOWS
donaldastwood;1067890;1067890 said:
I fully agree, Apistos are great little cichlids with alot of charachter and attitude for such small cichlids. But I am in New York and Im finding it impossible to find decent source to buy them.... Anyone have any suggestions about Apisto. breeders near New Yor?
DONALD, i just posted that i was looking to find a breeder or 10 in the nyc area for apistos, i'll keep you posted if you will do the same, any info would be apreciated
thanks
jack
BKLYNJACK825@AOL.COM

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Apisto. combrae and borelli are found in the Bella Union (northern) part of Uruguay.

Here are some pictures of Laguna de la Pedrera to give some ideas of what a natural habitat for these fish looks like.

They were breeding in 100-ish degree water in just a few inches of water. The ponds are run-off from sugar cane fields...and feed into the (big) Rio Uruguay.

The apistos share these ponds with everything from cichlids (Gymnogeos and Cichlasoma) to pirahnas, wolf-fish (Hoplias), other characins (Leporinus, tetras, etc.) to Pimelodella catfish.

1) and 2) Laguna de la Pedrera - Apisto. habitats (combrae and borelli)
3) The spilway separating Laguna de la Pedrera from the Rio Uruguay. The far side of the river is Argentina.

Matt

125_125.JPG

126_126.JPG

111_111.JPG

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Have picked up 4 F0 Laetacara dorsigera over the past few weeks after we got a shipment in a while ago. Stunning fish, although I'm hoping a pair forms so I can not only help in the distribution of the species throughout Australia (even though they're a Legal import), but so I can see them in breeding dress too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store