APISTOGRAMMA AND OTHER NEW WORLD DWARF CICHLIDS

Icecold Dan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 10, 2018
Earth
I just got this young pair of Cacatuoides triple reds yesterday from Apisto Dave. They have already settled in nicely, and are eating NLS .5mm sinking pellets and frozen mysis.

IMG_20180525_073216.jpg

Icecold Dan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 10, 2018
Earth
So, it's taken about a week, but I've realized that my apistos really aren't eating the nls pellets. The male will stalk them, and suck down the first few that cross his path, but he spits them out. He does however eat the mysis with reckless abandon.

I'd really like them to eat more variety, and especially not be on a single, frozen food. So what do you think I should try next?

What are you feeding and having sucess with?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So, it's taken about a week, but I've realized that my apistos really aren't eating the nls pellets. The male will stalk them, and suck down the first few that cross his path, but he spits them out. He does however eat the mysis with reckless abandon.

I'd really like them to eat more variety, and especially not be on a single, frozen food. So what do you think I should try next?

What are you feeding and having sucess with?

Keep offering the NLS pellet. Is it the smallest pellet size? I rotate feedings with Omega 1 Cichlid flake, NLS all purpose formula pellet and Bug bites for Cichlids. Frozen Mysis every once in awhile.

Reactions: Icecold Dan

Icecold Dan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 10, 2018
Earth
Keep offering the NLS pellet. Is it the smallest pellet size? I rotate feedings with Omega 1 Cichlid flake, NLS all purpose formula pellet and Bug bites for Cichlids. Frozen Mysis every once in awhile.
It is the smallest size, I'll keep trying. I'll pick up the other foods you mentioned. The only fish in the tank besides them is a couple false julie corys, so I'm trying hard not to add too much food that won't get eaten.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It is the smallest size, I'll keep trying. I'll pick up the other foods you mentioned. The only fish in the tank besides them is a couple false julie corys, so I'm trying hard not to add too much food that won't get eaten.

There is 4 Banjo catfish in with the Apistogramma but I also try not to over feed.

Icecold Dan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 10, 2018
Earth
I'd like to add a few more fish, I was thinking some Lemon Tetras and/or some Marble Hatchets. My biggest problem with that is that I don't really have any options when it comes to selection, besides big box stores. Without a quarantine tank, that option scares me to death.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'd like to add a few more fish, I was thinking some Lemon Tetras and/or some Marble Hatchets. My biggest problem with that is that I don't really have any options when it comes to selection, besides big box stores. Without a quarantine tank, that option scares me to death.

Yes quarantine is absolutely necessary. I'm thinking about adding a group of small tetra myself.

Reactions: Icecold Dan

Icecold Dan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 10, 2018
Earth
Well, just a quick update. They are both eating the NLS pellets as well a BugBites, and what I find most surprising is that the will eat Hikari sinking wafers.

Still using the frozen stuff as a weekly treat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store