Apple/mystery snails with flowerhorn?

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Wondering if it would work to get 2 or 3 apple/mystery snails for my 55g flowerhorn tank. I was thinking of these snails because they cannot reproduce underwater and they grow a bit larger than trumpets or others so it would be harder for my FH to try to get a snack out them.

Daniel36

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2018
Hawaii
Hello again, I just happened across this thread and thought I’d add my two cents. I can only speak to keeping Malaysian trumpet snails however and IMO they are a great addition to any tank, they only eat decaying matter and waste, don’t add a significant amount to a tanks bio load, and just my opinion interesting albeit slow moving. Again just my humble opinion.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Hello again, I just happened across this thread and thought I’d add my two cents. I can only speak to keeping Malaysian trumpet snails however and IMO they are a great addition to any tank, they only eat decaying matter and waste, don’t add a significant amount to a tanks bio load, and just my opinion interesting albeit slow moving. Again just my humble opinion.
Do you think I’d need to worry about any disease or parasites?

Daniel36

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2018
Hawaii
I wouldn’t think so, from what cursory searches I did online I think it be pretty safe. Especially if you’re purchasing your snails from a reputable pet shop. I got my snails from my dads pond, never quarantined them, just tossed a couple in each tank. Hopefully we’ll get some more input, I’m always eager to hear others experiences.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I wouldn’t think so, from what cursory searches I did online I think it be pretty safe. Especially if you’re purchasing your snails from a reputable pet shop. I got my snails from my dads pond, never quarantined them, just tossed a couple in each tank. Hopefully we’ll get some more input, I’m always eager to hear others experiences.
Planning on getting them from a petco that keeps them in their plant tanks that they take extremely good care of unlike they do with their fish.

Reactions: Daniel36

Daniel36

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2018
Hawaii
Planning on getting them from a petco that keeps them in their plant tanks that they take extremely good care of unlike they do with their fish.
Haha ain’t that the truth, I tend to avoid the large box store pet shops but I know there are some good ones out there

Reactions: Rtc/tsn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store