Aquarium Cycling Issues

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Ok,I'll get some stability at the store today. The mollies are pretty expensive (1.99 at petco) so I want to lightly stock it with maybe 2 mollies and a few snails. Would that work? The lava rock was in the filter to be clear. It was in the backyard for a long time so I figure some thing that would stop/prevent cycling might have gotten on it so I took it all out last night.
Damm. Regular mollies are dirt cheap where I am. Suggest you pick up whatever feeder fish they have. Those should be cheap.
And yeah 2 Mollies should work fine.

As for the rock, just keep it submerged for a month or so. If any chems are on it, they should clear out. Even if you don't plan to currently use it, do so as in the future you may decide you want to use it.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I can submerge it in plain treated/conditoned water right?
Hello; I get that you knew what "it" is when you wrote this but I will have to guess.

If the "it" refers to the lava rock and we are still talking about how to make it ready for a tank, then no special water other than tap water is necessary. The idea is to let the rock soak for a long time so any absorbed chemicals can slowly be dissolved into the water. That is why I suggested to replace the water every few days.
No reason you cannot use treated /conditioned water except for the added expense I guess. Maybe use some conditioner in the last bucket of water right before adding the rock to the tank.

Reactions: imabot and tlindsey

TUCCI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2018
Colorado
If someone with a tank close to the OP could give him some of the gravel from there tank, that would help a lot. Unfortunately it's too much like asking someone to use their toothbrush. I don't know anyone with a tank or I wouldnt hesitate to ask for a small amount. I'd even pay for it. As far as someone repeatedly unplugging the filter... that's rediculous, and needs to be dealt with. I pity the fool that would pull that stunt in my household.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
A question on a similar vein.

I am setting up my quarantine tank, so dusted out my old canister filter and bought it new media (sponge and ceramic rings).
Have added them to my old established sump and added some Seachem Stability on them.

So the question is how long till the sponge and rings have adequate bacteria buildup, where I can move them to the canister filter and its ready to use?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Might take 6 to 8 weeks (probably more like 8), stating from scratch like that, the large enough population of bacteria needed to detoxify constant out put of ammonia doesn't grow in only a week or 3.

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Might take 6 to 8 weeks (probably more like 8), stating from scratch like that, the large enough population of bacteria needed to detoxify constant out put of ammonia doesn't grow in only a week or 3.
So it will take 6-8 weeks despite placing the new media in a fully cycled functioning sump of my main aquarium?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If new media is put in a tank, it must have time to build up a very large population of bacteria from scratch.
If you use a new filter box, but put in "old" seasoned, right from the tank media, its set to go, its not about tank water, its about media with a large bio film population growing on it.
I usually have buckets of gravel, media, whatever, sitting in my sumps, for months before using them to jump start a new tank.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store