Aquarium Filtration 101

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
meganutz;4505381; said:
Always go with a wet/dry for tanks 125 and up. Especially if your heavily stocked. Wet/drys just do things that canisters and hang ons can't.
Except pull ditrius from the bottom which is were most ends up.......

For bio, wet drys are the best, but for mechanical seems like a canister or hob with the intake as low as possible would be better suited. Thoughts?

kozaka71

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2010
N.H
I have a magnum 350 pro system with 2 bio wheels on my 90gal I was told I should get a bigger one or add one so I was thinking of adding one. my question is should i get another magnum 350 or what?
ty for the post very helpful.

Judon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2010
San Diego, CA.
There seems to be ALOT of people posting very specific questions related to THEIR own tank setup. This thread/ article should be for generic/ principles information about filtering.

If you have a question about your personal set up here's how you are expected to deal with it:
A.) Read other posts related to issues similar to the one you are in. Read and learn from all the questions that are already posted here. Almost any issue that you as a noob have, has already been asked/ addressed elsewhere on this site, there are some very knowledgeable aquarists here. Just remember as the author posted at the beginning, alot of what is "known" about filtering/ setup is really just opinion. So you might not find exactly the issue that you are dealing with, but there are some overall principles that have been outlined numerous times on the site.
B.) Start a new thread; post your own question under your own heading. Sometimes the more knowledgeable will actually surf through the "today's posts" looking for people posting questions to answer. Don't know how to start a new post? Directions follow:

To start a new post it is quite simple. At the top of the page is a heading that says "Forums", click it. Scroll down to forum that describes the type of issue that you have...such as "Setup and Filtration", click that forum. When it opens, at the top of the box that contains all the threads in that forum there is a small button that says, "New Thread", click that button. It takes you to the form/ window for posting a new thread, this is where you describe your specific issue and can get numerous people who are looking to answer questions. Otherwise you are “hijacking” someone else’s thread and that’s just rude.

Blazed Monkey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Kansas City
Excellent writeup. Very accessible to the entry level user, giving the WHY behind every thing. Very helpful, thank you for taking the time to write this up.

Apollo Seven

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Sudbury,Ontario,Canada
Just wondering what would be the best way to go with a 180 planted comunity tank... I was told to go with canisters... Now should I go with two or just one big one and what should be the water flow... I have a few that I reaserched like the Fluval g6 but I think that is not enough it is rated for a 160 can I get away with this or should I go with two fluval fx5... Or maybe the EHEIM 2080 PROFESSIONAL 3... If anybody could clear things up for me thanks

pleco broski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2011
Tiverton, RI
great write up! very informative

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store