Aquarium Heights in Fish Room/Gallery

Which is a more appealing tank setup visually?

• Total voters

SwellyJelly

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2014
Missouri
Recently acquired a 180 gallon and plan on setting it up next to my 240 only problem is that the 180 is 30" tall and my 240 is 24". Those of you that have multiple tanks/systems running next to each other or lined up against a wall, do you prefer to have your aquariums in alignment from the based on the height of your stands or do you try to make all the heights of your aquariums unified and flush?

Let me know your thoughts!

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
do you mean the 240 is 30" and the 180" is 24"? what kind of floor you working with? are the tanks the same length? how do you filter them?

i have a wild idea about stacking the two tanks similar to how im setting up a future display now.

if that doesnt appeal to you at all, i think the tanks should be flush at stand level. you could potentially put some overhead equipment on the shorter tank for cohesion if you wanted. planter sump or something like that.

i also saw another nifty setup with three tanks that had like an integrated stand and canopy between both the tanks. i believe that guy had split the difference between stand and tank top height with his shorter tank.

SwellyJelly

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2014
Missouri
The 240 is 8x2x2 and the 180 is a custom build 48x30x 30. This would be on a concrete floor in my basement and both would be on separate sump systems.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Top of tanks lining up looks better to me. It's all preference. But if you line up the tank tops it will look more even than if you line up stand tops.

Reactions: deeda

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I agree with Swami in lining up the tops rather than the base. I actually have the exact same heights (240g 30" tall with a pair of 24" tall 120's next to it) and I lined up the tops to be about 1" of each other. If you want I can show you a pic of mine so you can see how it looks with the tops lined up.

SwellyJelly

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2014
Missouri
I agree with Swami in lining up the tops rather than the base. I actually have the exact same heights (240g 30" tall with a pair of 24" tall 120's next to it) and I lined up the tops to be about 1" of each other. If you want I can show you a pic of mine so you can see how it looks with the tops lined up.
Steve that would be awesome! I'm starting to lean towards having the tops all flush as having one uniform "wall" sounds more and more appealing.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Here ya go Swelly. Like you I kind of went back & forth for a bit on if I should line up the top or bottom. I'm very OCD when it comes to things like that and I found that your eye is more drawn to the top levels of the tanks than the bottom for some reason when looking at heights so I did mine where they are pretty much level at the tops. Then the bottom I made up the difference with the sheeting of wood on the stands. Done that way it give the look you are talking about with a "wall of tanks".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store