Aquarium in the Garage and Heating?

Deepsouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Montgomery, Alabama
HI all. I want to put an aquarium in the garage, but I'm very worried about heating it. Heating the entire garage is out. It gets to 35 degrees or so in the winter here. Anyone have any ideas??? The tank size would be 125 gallons.

Prime322

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2009
Rockford, IL
www.primeaquatics.com
I tried to put an 180 gallon in the aquarium and found out to be a big mistake. I putted three 300 Watts heater to keep the temperature at 78 degree. The price of the three heaters was very costly, but thats not the worse part. I had datnoids, flagtails, and clown loach and the garage opening and closing all the time made it very uncomforatable for the fish. I losted about 6 datnoids, 10 flagtails and a bunch of clown loaches. I wounldn't recommend it, especially if you going to have sensitive fishs.

Deepsouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Montgomery, Alabama
I was planning on Frontosa, which are very sensitive.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
What you can do is put the hard foam insulation board on the back and sides of the tank and cut a piece that will fit inside the tank frame under the bottom. This will help to keep the heat in. Add a glass top to the tank and you're pretty much set.

You can also make a front piece with a few viewing portals for the front of the tank, but it's really not necessary.

As long as the garage doesn't have any drafts, you shouldn't have a problem heating the tank without running up your electric bill.

I have 8 tanks in my garage and my only problem is evaporation since the tanks don't have glass tops. They actually keep the garage somewhat warm.

Deepsouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Montgomery, Alabama
The tank already has a large wood canopy. What kind of heaters are you using?

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
stealth

2 250-300 watt heaters should be sufficient for your tank. Set one at the temp you want the tank and one slightly lower. That way only one is doing the incremental heating whereas the two will carry the large demand when necessary.

The wood canopy isn't going to hold heat in the tank though. The glass top isn't absolutely necessary, but it does help with heat loss and evaporation. You could install some of the insulation board in the canopy if heating becomes an issue. You shouldn't have to though.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Also, go with an acrylic tank if you can. They are better insulators.

If it were me, I'd wrap the thing in styrofoam insulation. But then you couldn't see the fish. So why keep fish in the garage?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
You could also make a "fish room" by lightly framing and coating the room with visquene. You could then heat the small enclosure and not worry about the tank as much. You couldn't even have to put heaters in the tanks. Mike Dunagan did this in his garage and it is always hot in there.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
I have 3 300 watt heaters in my Acrylic 7' tank with a 55G glass sump, in my unheated basement. They keep my tank at about 78, the basement is always like 45. I have glass tops over the tank, and the rigid foam insulation over the top of the sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store