MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis

brianp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Fremont, CA
Seal around the garage door to eliminate drafts and allow the garage to accumulate enough heat to raise the temperature a few degrees above ambient. Provide 1,000 watts of heating capacity and set the temp to 2-4 degrees above the actual desired temp. This will allow the tank to accumulate additional heat during the day (when it's warmer). I think you'll be ok.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
Just a side note, does any one else find the temp on the heaters don't match the thermometer? I had 2 300watts on my basement tank set at 80 and the water was always 78, I tossed in another 300 watt and the water is still 78. So I assume that the heaters think the water is at 80.

Andrewtfw

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Maryland
Heaters are calibrated to be within three degrees of the actual temperature. Some brands/models are better than others.

Does the tank have a wet dry or sump? If it does and the pump is large, it will also help heat the water along with the heaters. 125 sounds like a lot of water until you consider the external temp and the insolation of the garage. A friend of mine has a 900+ gallon tank in his garage. He has a large wet dry with a very large pump that puts out a lot of heat. In addition he has six 300 watt stealth heaters in the sump. The garage has a built in heater, but he rarely needs to run it. An acrylic tank of this size/thickness holds temp for many hours longer than a glass 125 will.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
I have a 90 gallon in my garage that gets down into the low 30's at times. I used aluminum "bubble-wrap" type insulation, mostly because I had a roll of it lying around. It stays warm with just a single 250W heater, but I'm thinking of adding a second just in case of failure. I do have a tight fitting glass top as well. On days when it gets really cold I sometimes throw a piece of foam board over the top of the tank to help retain a bit more heat.

If you have any HOB or external filtration be sure to insulate the filters and hoses, the rapidly moving water increases the heat loss considerably.

tank2.jpg

tank1.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store