Aquarium that dosent require cleaning?

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
basically the rivers change the water in lakes although the rivers don't require a water change, and the rivers only come from more lakes and rivers

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Not only water changes; a heavily-planted tank requires its own type of maintenance in the form of trimming/pruning, removal of dying plant matter, likely some algae control, etc.

Like Esox said, natural water bodies are constantly being changed and replenished. Rivers flow; lakes are filled by, and also drained by, rivers as the water progresses to the sea. Look at landlocked lakes; water flows in, but there is no exit, so the water becomes oversaturated with accumulating salts and minerals to the point where very few species can survive. The Dead Sea didn't get its name by being an ecological paradise.

Designing an aquarium and filtration system that makes maintenance easier and faster to do is a worthwhile goal, because it increases one's enjoyment of an aquarium while still admitting that there is no free lunch and that some effort is required to maintain and finetune the system. Expecting to get something for nothing is simply unrealistic and lazy.

GolemGolem

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
AR
I've fallen into watching sealed terrarium videos on the Youtube, if you're more into plants and tiny inverts some of those have been going for decades, completely sealed.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
1F3FEED3-51BB-4389-A05F-F3A6AAD6E334_1_201_a.jpeg
Above is a pristine part of the Rio Magdalena in Colombia S America.
I tested the water for nitrates the day this pic was taken, none were detected.
That vegetation on its banks is constantly using any nutrients like nitrate and phosphate, providing constant water change..
The nitrogen cycle is about the only cycle have we aquarists have somewhat of a control over, and most aquarists have a hard time keeping even close to the nitrate level in nature.
When I worked in a lab I tested Lake Michigan water every day, nitrate levels barely reached 1ppm.
I am able to keep nitrate levels in my 180 tank at < 5ppm, but only with a heavily planted 125 gal sump, and regular water changes
8F288065-DC34-400D-856F-003A79230C88_1_201_a.jpeg
Even the main tank is heavily planted with terrestrial and aquatic plant species.
8FB4F421-1A28-4E05-9454-6F825BB22D5B_1_201_a.jpeg
I try to keep my plant weight, to fish weight ratio, at about 25 to 1

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
My former neighbor was the head of New England fancy guppy association had several 20long tanks that he hadn't drained in well over a decade, he only did top offs. he was breeding guppies and ancistrus in these tanks and did so as an experiment. We are talking extremely lightly stocked tanks, heavy plant material and constant breeding. Not exactly MFK fish and someone with 40+ years' experience & well water and a science background.

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
basically the rivers change the water in lakes although the rivers don't require a water change, and the rivers only come from more lakes and rivers
you have a couple holes in your knowledge base , re water and where it
Comes and where it goes.
But either way-
What is your position on the issue? Do you think you can be successful without maintenance?
you need to just put your postulation into practice. Answer your own question. Do you have a tank you can try this with?
you seem like the kind that needs to try it for themselves and then determine if you’ve been successful or not according to whatever standard you determine for measuring success.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
^ Enabler! :devil:

Last edited:
Reactions: C. Breeze

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
How to never “clean” a tank… set up an autodrip system. I havent done a physical water change in almost 10yrs on 10+ tanks 180-650gal. 100%+ tank volume is replaced weekly. I dont even have hoses anymore for a physical water change ?. I clean filters maaaaybe once every few yrs. Usually just when im changing stock around or “for fun” as good measure. If the tank is “dirty” u can just turn the drips up and buy yourself years of “cleaning” even ??. Only other option as others have stated are heavily planted tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store