Aquariums and gardening.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Please tell me robmcd robmcd that your set up is super high tech which cost more than your house to set up. If you've achieved that by spending next to nothing I'll be really upset, lol.

My inside garden, in my tank, and my outside garden, both look miserable compared to the others on show in this thread.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Please tell me robmcd robmcd that your set up is super high tech which cost more than your house to set up. If you've achieved that by spending next to nothing I'll be really upset, lol.

My inside garden, in my tank, and my outside garden, both look miserable compared to the others on show in this thread.
Never mind you seem to have a sunny disposition.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach

Maybe $250 US? A bit was repurposed stuff I had already. The C02 system was about $140 for everything, and the lighting and timers were around $80. I found a cheap Sun Sun canister for around $30 and the rest is history. Small plants grow big under the right conditions.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Maybe $250 US? A bit was repurposed stuff I had already. The C02 system was about $140 for everything, and the lighting and timers were around $80. I found a cheap Sun Sun canister for around $30 and the rest is history. Small plants grow big under the right conditions.
Well my hat is off to you, it's an incredible set up. The general consensus is you don't necessarily need CO2 to have a tank such as yours. I suspect that statement was coined by hobbyists who've never run CO2! There is no doubt that CO2 makes a huge difference.

Something else that is on my hobby bucket list, lol.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Well, it's arrived, my Musa Basjoo winter hardy banana plant. It's looking a little worse for wear. I don't think a couple of days boxed up in the post have helped but at least it's in one piece.

It came in a small pot so first thing I did was repot it and give it a good watering, with aquarium water of course.

The window sill it's on gets plenty of light, but never direct sunlight. All I can do now is give it time and what will be will be.

Any pointers Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 whilst it's in such a fragile state? Do you think it'll bounce right back? Can I expect it's growth to pretty much stop now Autumn's upon us and spring into action next year, or, being inside, will it show slow growth through autumn and winter and proper take off next spring?

IMG_20210904_115741_HDR.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Well, it's arrived, my Musa Basjoo winter hardy banana plant. It's looking a little worse for wear. I don't think a couple of days boxed up in the post have helped but at least it's in one piece.

It came in a small pot so first thing I did was repot it and give it a good watering, with aquarium water of course.

The window sill it's on gets plenty of light, but never direct sunlight. All I can do now is give it time and what will be will be.

Any pointers Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 whilst it's in such a fragile state? Do you think it'll bounce right back? Can I expect it's growth to pretty much stop now Autumn's upon us and spring into action next year, or, being inside, will it show slow growth through autumn and winter and proper take off next spring?

View attachment 1471960
I got 2 recently in worse condition. The worst one died but the other guy is doing well. Got it a bit under 2 weeks ago and it’s popped out 2 leaves since. So I’d say it’s doing well. Once it gets big enough I’ll plant it by the pool (next winter probably) and here’s hoping it survives the northeast USA cold.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk

View attachment 1471960
Congratulations on your first banana. They are fantastic plants.
First of all dont be put off if this on dies, just wait till next spring and buy a new one and try again. I must admit I've lost a few in the past and it's always been when I've tried to keep them going indoors. The reason for this is over watering when the plant is not actively growing.
My advice to you would be to put this plant outside in the sunniest spot you have. Leave it in its pot and only water if you notice it actively growing. Your probably good until mid October or when you suspect our first frost. This is the time to bring it back indoors. I would then be extremely tight with your watering regime, maybe a trickle once a month. Be patient and plant outside mid April. Again wait for signs of growth and then water and feed like crazy. It should reach at least six foot next year and probably produce more banana pups that you can divide and pot up for indoors just incase the parent plant does not make it.
Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store