Aquariums and gardening.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
This one started in the waterfall of my indoor pond but fast outgrew it. When they get established I think I would be fine with your turtles.
Think I will divide it next spring and give it a try. Its surprising just how much greenery the turtles can get through. I can cut a 6 foot banana leaf and throw it in the pond in the morning, when I get home from work it's gone.

Reactions: Deadeye

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Beautiful gardens, everybody!
Anybody has experience with fig trees outdoor year round? We have a small one (but producing figs) in a very large pot and the plan is planting in the ground in the next days, to remain there for as long as it lives. It was supposed to be a cold hardy variety but still needs to be covered in the winter. If anybody how suggestions as to how to cover it, we would appreciate that. I supposed we have time until possibly November or so. Cheers!
I have no experience with figs but I would suggest wrapping with horticultural fleece. Just don't over do it. I've had plants rot from being wrapped to well.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Think I will divide it next spring and give it a try. Its surprising just how much greenery the turtles can get through. I can cut a 6 foot banana leaf and throw it in the pond in the morning, when I get home from work it's gone.
If you want more umbrella plants rather than dividing them you can cut off a stem with the umbrella on , turn it upside down and keep it in water, when it starts to sprout stick it in a pot of soil. Can get loads of new plants every year if you wanted!

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
What's that plant with the huge leaves in the top right of your top pic, reminds me of fatsia leaves. Also the far left large spiky leaves just creeping into the picture, looks like a huge cordyline?
Top right is the gunnera. Some of its leaves are easily two feet long but it’s still a baby. It’s in a huge pot (24” diameter) in the pond as they like it moist but this year the pond netting we put on to stop the heron literally diving in, has restricted it somewhat.
Well spotted also with the Cordyline, we have a six foot red one in a pot that I thought we had lost last year as half the leaves drooped down. Had to cut them all off but the top two foot is still growing again. Will protect it this year.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I have no experience with figs but I would suggest wrapping with horticultural fleece. Just don't over do it. I've had plants rot from being wrapped to well.
Thanks! I will investigate that as I have never used it. Is that something one can fin at regular garden centers? Hola

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Yeah, it'd be nice to finally get back the once great Tulare Lake....it's a shame you'd be at the bottom of it though, lol.
I doubt that. The Sierra Nevada range would have to drop. We sit on “The Gateway to the Sierra” at 330’ above sea level now.
FDC5928A-C229-45CC-833B-BDD565F94FF9.jpeg
Do you expect the oceans to come up more than 300 feet? I didn’t think there was that much ice left. Perhaps if they somehow got smaller and deeper….

Anyhow, I expect to be on the western shore, and above the high tide mark, while just the tips of LA and Frisco would still show.

At just +30’, Sacramento will be 100% drowned. It would be already, but they added over 30 feet of landfill to the city 150 years ago and jacked the whole town up as well. It is not that stable.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
If you want more umbrella plants rather than dividing them you can cut off a stem with the umbrella on , turn it upside down and keep it in water, when it starts to sprout stick it in a pot of soil. Can get loads of new plants every year if you wanted!
Good tip I never knew that, thanks.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I doubt that
Yeah, I wrote that pretty much tongue in cheek. The original Tulare Lake is no where near you, and was relatively small anyway. But the original Tulare Basin, which I believe was the original name for the San Joaquin basin, when the lake was in its pomp, is huge and almost reaches as far north as you. But, in reality, as you say, you'd have nothing worse than an ocean view.....unless San Andreas woke up!

In geography at school we studied California, right up to British Columbia, farming and industry and the like. However, my memory is shot at, I can only recall small, and very vague clippets of info. Lol.

I'll shut up now, rather than make a fool of myself in front of someone who actually lives there, lol.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
When I bought this house I knew it was way above the floodplain.

Our town sits on an ancient seabed that was pushed up our of the water. I don’t know where bedrock is, but there are dozens of layers of sand and hardrpan below us.

it insulates us a lot from the coastal quakes, and the mountain quakes too.

So far…..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store