Aquariums and gardening.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Lovely, Hostas and ferns will love that nutrient rich water!
I can certainly vouch for aquarium water.

A few weeks ago my son brought some sunflower seeds home from school. We planted five in pots. Once germinated we watered them daily. Four with tap water, one with aquarium water.

Unsurprisingly the aquarium water fed seedling grew a lot quicker. Fast forward a few weeks and this is the only one remaining, the aquarium water fed one. The others I tossed away in my worm heap as they were small with discoloured leaves.

The flower developed about 3 days ago which is when I put it outside, it had been growing in my fish room up until then. I don't water it as much now as we've had a lot of rain recently.

So yes, aquarium water is extremely rich in nutrient, but I already knew that. The idea of my experiment was to show my son the difference between tap water and aquarium water.

IMG_20210730_151124_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Ulu and Deadeye

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Nice. Using the ‘waste’ water is always good - good quality, nutrient rich, and less use of new water. Not at my locale, but in some places this is critical!

Reactions: Deadeye

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
My wife feeds the dogs something called "greenums" which are supposed to keep the lawn from being poisoned.

It seems to work, but not perfect either.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
My wife feeds the dogs something called "greenums" which are supposed to keep the lawn from being poisoned.

It seems to work, but not perfect either.
That's interesting. What is it meant to "neutralise" though, the crap or the pee? My lawn's not effected by crap because it's removed immediately, it's the pee that is causing the brown patches, at least I think it's the dog pee, I don't know what else it can be.

But if there's something we can feed the dog to help with the problem that would be great.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Nice. Using the ‘waste’ water is always good - good quality, nutrient rich, and less use of new water. Not at my locale, but in some places this is critical!
In addition to regular waterings, I'm changing a lot of water and putting it on our trees. They are looking really dry and I am getting more concerned every day.
I used to water my flowers with Pleco Poop water, and it is about the best. Cichlid poop isn't as good but it still works.
I don't know what to do with the brackish tank water though. I have to dump it or figure out how to remove the salt. It'll kill everything.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
That's interesting. What is it meant to "neutralise" though, the crap or the pee? My lawn's not effected by crap because it's removed immediately, it's the pee that is causing the brown patches, at least I think it's the dog pee, I don't know what else it can be.

But if there's something we can feed the dog to help with the problem that would be great.
green_um_tablets.jpg
It's supposed to affect the urine.
There's different formulas for different size dogs, but I don't know the details.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I went to the local garden centre yesterday, it has an aquatics section too, so I called in for some fish food. I had a mooch around whilst I was there and came across this fine specimen in the houseplants section. At first glance I thought it was just a red flowering peace lily, it looks just like the peace lily, right?

Well apparently this is a species in its own right, not a peace lily at all. Anyone know what it is? I've done my research on them and I'm going to try and keep it alive! It's one thing seeing plants thriving in the jungle type atmosphere of my gardening centre, but usually a totally different story once they've been at home for a few weeks.

I find houseplants to be very much like fish and aquarium plants. Some do well with the care you provide, others not so much.

IMG_20210823_073614_HDR.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Arum lily, zantedeschia I think.
I think the flowers on the zantadeschia are more conical but I can see why you said it. No, this is an Anthurium. It has a couple more common names such as the laceleaf plant. It's quite a stunner, I just hope I can keep it looking like this!

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
You just bet me to changing my plant!
Sorry, getting my plants mixed up, same family but that one you have is Anthurium, probably andreanum.
Will like humidity so stand it on a tray of damp pebbles or mist it regularly. Likes warm winter temperatures too.

I was just mid type when it told me more messages had been posted?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store