Aquariums and gardening.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It is a beautiful Anthurium (family Araceae), same family as Anubias and Philodendron. Many, many mainly (but not only) tropical and subtropical, terrestrial, amphibious, and fully aquatic, and in the New World, as well as the Old Work forests.
I grew up with many Anthurium in Colombia, and they were a common houseplant that grew easily. Of late, I have tried to keep some at home and have failed several times.

Reactions: Deadeye

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
"Its interesting to me, how much the flower looks similar to the aquatic Anubias flower."
That is because they are close relatives, albeit terrestrial.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Will like humidity so stand it on a tray of damp pebbles or mist it regularly. Likes warm winter temperatures too.
Yeah, the bit of research I've done says it needs misting regularly and to stand the pot on a tray. Seems like it's a typical high humidity jungle type plant, maybe out of my league, lol.

It's frustrating though sometimes. The houseplant section at the garden centre is like a sauna. The plants in there are astonishing, really top notch healthy specimens. It's no wonder they go downhill once I get them home.

However, I'm really going to try with this one, lol.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I am no botanist, and I did not read through this entire thread, but my advice would be to get rid of the palm tree. If you put it in a pot you can control root growth. Otherwise you cannot and it will try to take over the soil.

Here in central California, it is very easy to grow palm trees, and I own a couple Queen Anne’s people have given me (unfortunately) but I hate them because of the invasive root system.

From what I understand, most palm trees will spread if you don’t remove all the roots, and they are difficult to deal with. People here are trying to dig them up from time to time because they have destroyed their property.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
my advice would be to get rid of the palm tree
If you are referring to the tiny palm tree in my garden mentioned earlier in the thread, i'm not at all worried about that. It hasn't been doing well, it's living, that's about it, hardly thriving at all.

It'll soon be autumn in the UK and once winter sets in I expect it to to be dead by next spring. Our extremely uncalifornian type climate doesn't bode well for certain exotic plant species.

In fact, I am toying with the idea of turning it into an indoor pot specimen so I may dig it up over the next month or so. Besides, it doesn't seem to "fit in" with the other plants in my garden, it sticks out like a sore thumb, lol.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Well, what with all the global warming they say it’ll get warm enough in old blighty to have palm trees (if the isles don’t just wash into the sea when Iceland melts.)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Well, what with all the global warming they say it’ll get warm enough in old blighty to have palm trees (if the isles don’t just wash into the sea when Iceland melts.)
That's what I love about you Ulu, you're just such a cheery soul, lol.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
By the way, I live in a part of the UK (on the Pennines) where we're elevated to such an extent it'll take more than Iceland to melt before I start paddling. In fact I'd wager that the next ice age would happen before we'd go under water. It's only a few thousand years ago that, should I have been alive then, I would have been under a kilometer of ice!!!

Heavens above, your cheeriness is wearing off on me now!! Lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store