Aquariums and gardening.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Your palm looks like trachycharpis fortuni, spelling is probably wrong from memory. These are one of the hardiest palms you can get for the UK.
They can suffer when small so I would add fleece and straw in the winter. Once they hit about 4 foot they become a lot tougher. Should survive uk winters OK.
I'm also a keen gardener and grow palms, bananas and tree ferns amongst others. With a little work and research it's amazing how tropical you can make a UK garden look.
Fish keeping and gardening are great hobbies and the two can become intertwined. I fertilise my plants with dirty pond and tank filter water and collect leaves, fronds and botanical from my garden for my tanks. Also have a turtle pond in the garden so both hobbies are very much linked.
I watch gardeners world now and again and yes, they occasionally have guest gardens on, and there have been several of these tropical gardens you speak of. I love the tropical plants. It's a good job we don't have a conservatory because I would fill it with those type of plants.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
That looks great. I'm contemplating something like that for my daughters tortoise.

I don't know what's wrong with most of our minds. I'm an extremist to with everything I do.

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
I gardened for years outside, then I got tanks. Soon I was doing live plants and the outside garden became a weed garden.

esoxlucius esoxlucius
I have not only seen most of their film work, I have seen them in silent fiims and before they teamed up,

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I watch gardeners world now and again and yes, they occasionally have guest gardens on, and there have been several of these tropical gardens you speak of. I love the tropical plants. It's a good job we don't have a conservatory because I would fill it with those type of plants.
So would I mate. I don't have a conservatory but I still fill the garden with them.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Got to admit, I do the same, until my wife spots all these little trees and the secators come out, or we plant them out in a nearby wood!
Never seen a bonsai sycamore, maybe yours can be a first.
Well, you've started something now. I don't know how it will react to being hard pruned every year but that's exactly what I'm going to do, lol. Maybe I'll pop back to this thread once in a while with a progress report on it's stunted development, lol.

Reactions: Deadeye

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I gardened for years outside, then I got tanks. Soon I was doing live plants and the outside garden became a weed garden.

esoxlucius esoxlucius
I have not only seen most of their film work, I have seen them in silent fiims and before they teamed up,

I'm crazy about these two guys, I always have been, and yes, they both were very active in movies, and for a long time too, before they even met. The Hal Roach years were the best, some of their later stuff was quite poor in comparison.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Laurel and Hardy were a terrific comedy duo...not quite the equal of Abbott and Costello, of course, but still hugely entertaining.

For my simple tastes, both teams were a bit too...I don't know...sophisticated? Genteel, perhaps? Certainly, they made me laugh when I, as a youngster, watched them...but it was polite, civilized, restrained laughter.

I didn't want polite humour; I needed more. I needed the kind of laughter that made me dizzy because there was no time for inhaling. I needed to feel the tears streaming down my face, my voice growing hoarse with gales of mirth. The dog would whine in concern, try to figure out what was wrong with me, and finally leave in haste to fetch my mother. I needed the ultimate slapstick, where no amount of watching and re-watching the same corny episodes would diminish my enjoyment; where I would rush home from school to watch that magical half-hour of TV, usually along with my father and brother. I needed to know every line of dialogue, and still roar with laughter each time I heard it.

I needed...The Three Stooges! :ROFL:

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I needed...The Three Stooges
I was introduced to Laurel and Hardy as a child. During the long six week summer holidays from school their old shorts, and occasionally a movie, would be aired on television every morning for the whole holiday period. That's where my admiration for them started.

Abbot and Costello were also on once in a while but The Three Stooges, to my memory, were hardly on at all, though on the rare occasions they were on, yes, them guys were just as funny as Laurel and Hardy.

Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd and Charlie Chaplin were also on though their material was silent and never good to watch as a kid. It's beyond me why Chaplin is regarded as the comedy king of this era, above everyone else. In my eyes he wasn't funny at all!!

Reactions: Deadeye

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
As a movie nut I have seen them all. When you talk about the silent era you are talking about a way different era. before this there was very little else. Radio was around for a while but grew to be the main media for decades. There was no TV and movies cost money. But with TV I Got to see Burns and Allen, Your Show of Shows etc. So here is a treat for the younger folks here.

And for you health nuts ........

I am a big fan of the Marx Brothers and W. C. Fields. But there are plenty of fuuny guys who needed nothing dirty to crack you up.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store