AquaScapeOnline?

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
I have kept Caribe over the years and there is usually some level of loss when they are juveniles. If they get babies in at some point in the future then I may give it another shot. Tough to justify a $500 to $800 shoal when there are no guarantees.
the natts i have are my first ever. I really wanted the caribe since People all over YouTube say red belly’s are skittish but after only a week my red belly’s come up to the glass to check me out So I’m happy. I’m always sitting next to the aquarium to condition them to me.

Reactions: A&A

ativa01

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2021
Big fish in small pond
the natts i have are my first ever. I really wanted the caribe since People all over YouTube say red belly’s are skittish but after only a week my red belly’s come up to the glass to check me out So I’m happy. I’m always sitting next to the aquarium to condition them to me.
This is a common misconception some people have. While they're different from, say, an adult oscar cichlid, RBP will freely patrol the tank given that you're catering to their needs. Proper water parameters, adequate cover (live plants, driftwood), mild lighting, etc. I used to have a large solitary specimen that was very outgoing but they are even more comfortable in shoals.

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
This is a common misconception some people have. While they're different from, say, an adult oscar cichlid, RBP will freely patrol the tank given that you're catering to their needs. Proper water parameters, adequate cover (live plants, driftwood), mild lighting, etc. I used to have a large solitary specimen that was very outgoing but they are even more comfortable in shoals.
One thing I wanted to ask is I read somewhere here that u should remove decorations and hiding spots so they don’t claim territories but then some say lots of hiding spots should be provided so which is true? I know most tanks that I see adults in are just bare no hiding spots. Are hiding spots necessary when juveniles only?

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
One thing I wanted to ask is I read somewhere here that u should remove decorations and hiding spots so they don’t claim territories but then some say lots of hiding spots should be provided so which is true? I know most tanks that I see adults in are just bare no hiding spots. Are hiding spots necessary when juveniles only?
I find that there is no right or wrong answer to this. If you have enough plants and hiding spots that every piranha in the tank can claim a cave or “dead spot” then this should be ideal. I have found that when there is only one or two good hiding spots for a large shoal, this leads to fighting as they try to claim the few territories available. I am a fan of more open tank space while they are small as I want them to spend more time together. I don’t want one or two looking to find refuge most of the time. As they become adults it should not be as much of an issue.

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
I find that there is no right or wrong answer to this. If you have enough plants and hiding spots that every piranha in the tank can claim a cave or “dead spot” then this should be ideal. I have found that when there is only one or two good hiding spots for a large shoal, this leads to fighting as they try to claim the few territories available. I am a fan of more open tank space while they are small as I want them to spend more time together. I don’t want one or two looking to find refuge most of the time. As they become adults it should not be as much of an issue.
from your experience you think open is better? I’m confused bec I observe my shoal and I noticed they meet at the middle and start chasing each other. Heres my aquarium right now81237A46-C686-4EA2-A38D-2758090C0D22.jpeg

Reactions: CaribeWithaCavity

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
Tank looks good! I personally look for any piranha (especially smaller ones) always seeking refuge and staying in those hiding spots for extended periods of time. If your Ps are using the whole space then that is probably a good sign.
from your experience you think open is better? I’m confused bec I observe my shoal and I noticed they meet at the middle and start chasing each other. Heres my aquarium right nowView attachment 1448623
[/QUOTE

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
Tank looks good! I personally look for any piranha (especially smaller ones) always seeking refuge and staying in those hiding spots for extended periods of time. If your Ps are using the whole space then that is probably a good sign.
Thanks for the huge help! that cleared up a lot of questions. Yeah they usually hang out in the middle open area then chase then go back to the middle again. And I usually put the light on lowest dim or none at all except for feeding coz I want them to get used to eating in the light and not just eat and come out when it’s dark.

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
Here is mine. A work in progress. As you can see it is a bit more open. I also have 12 tetras in there as dither fish. So far the reds show 0 interest in them.

8070C4DE-9430-47BC-B620-2110A0811FDF.jpeg

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
Here is mine. A work in progress. As you can see it is a bit more open. I also have 12 tetras in there as dither fish. So far the reds show 0 interest in them.

View attachment 1448626
125g? how many are in there? Looks nice with all that space :)

Reactions: Deadeye and A&A
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store