Aquascaping - I give up.

GregRM

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2007
Toronto
I'll post pictures of my tank on this thread later tonight.

Here is my problem. I have no creative side, no artistic or decorating knowledge and my girlfriend is no help.

I have a 90 gal, I thought that changing the background would make my tank look nicer but since it's close to the wall I can't get the background on tight enough to get it on well again.

I also have no idea on how to Aquascape well and my O is getting to that stage (9-10 inches) where he's starting to get his own ideas.

Can any of you with 75-110 gal 4 foot tanks post pictures of your nicely decorated tanks?

I just can't seem to get it right. My tank is the center point of my living room and it just doesn't look as good as I would like it to.

Pictures or advise would be really apreciated.

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
heres my old tank

the only thing you can do to keep plants an stuff sorta in place is to tie them to a big rock or something.

Rakie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2007
So Cal
Well, personally I just really ****ed up my tank when i set the new one up.

I was picking out gravel and I like to keep it darker, but I wanted lighter sand like a grey / white mix... So im with my brother and I find a good deal on darker large gravel... Figure well its for a Flowerhorn im sure it'll have no problems with the larger gravel... OK, looks good in the bag nice brown, black and grey colors looks dark and nice. Get that home and start washing it off getting all the dust and dirt off of it before i get it in the tank... Honestly I dont even bother looking at it, just going through the motions of cleaning it up and getting it in the tank... Once im all done, I take a step back and look at the tank... first thing out of my mouth was ****....

Its pure white gravel mixed with brown, grey and black, it looks horrible.... Horrible.... it sure as hell didn't look white in the bag... Black and white substrate mixed looks pretty bad, especially with some nice driftwood in there... im tempted to toss this crap and get new gravel but thats another $50 or so.

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
Rakie;1046368; said:
Well, personally I just really ****ed up my tank when i set the new one up.

I was picking out gravel and I like to keep it darker, but I wanted lighter sand like a grey / white mix... So im with my brother and I find a good deal on darker large gravel... Figure well its for a Flowerhorn im sure it'll have no problems with the larger gravel... OK, looks good in the bag nice brown, black and grey colors looks dark and nice. Get that home and start washing it off getting all the dust and dirt off of it before i get it in the tank... Honestly I dont even bother looking at it, just going through the motions of cleaning it up and getting it in the tank... Once im all done, I take a step back and look at the tank... first thing out of my mouth was ****....

Its pure white gravel mixed with brown, grey and black, it looks horrible.... Horrible.... it sure as hell didn't look white in the bag... Black and white substrate mixed looks pretty bad, especially with some nice driftwood in there... im tempted to toss this crap and get new gravel but thats another $50 or so.
damn that sucks

Rakie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2007
So Cal
Bsixxx;1046376; said:
damn that sucks

lol, yeah... well w/e when i get a light that doesn't look like crap on it I think it will look nicer... atm it looks like the black and white "Racing flag" is on the bottom of my tank with some dark brown/red drift wood...

Not pretty, lol.

Siemens2

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Norwalk, IA
What else is in the tank besides the oscar?? Looking like it'll have to maybe be upgraded or fish slimmed down. I always like one big focal point in the middle and the rest open, or you could go with smaller pieces of wood and plants and leave the top and middle open.

GregRM

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2007
Toronto
I have 5 SDs in with him. Good size

Those pink and white rocks (same as in B6's video). One peace of driftwood ankored to slate and two of large fake plants.

I like the amazon look too.

I'm going to post a picture of what I have tonight and just let people tell me what to do. I really don't like the way it's looking now.

Gudjon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Iceland
Cross127;1046564; said:
Gudjon your tank makes me weak everytime I see it. Oh and update my 125 is startin to look more and more like what you have there lol.
thanks man :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store