Aquatic plant, + collecting in Lake Gatun

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
That view of the tank right there is as good a reason as any to get up early in the morning.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I may get some large containers if breeding starts in earnest, or if I get more and larger species.
I don't see why it won't work. My 240G pond is very light when empty. I can lift it up with one hand. Those types can also be stuck up into one another. Mine is potable MPDE made for drinking water storage and they make them in all sizes, much much larger. From what the retailer told me, if used outside under the sun warranty is just 10 years. If used inside, they said it can last indefinitely. I was looking for a fiber glass one but could not find it at the time.

It may be interesting to see how long I can go without a water change, to see how long it takes to get a nitrate detect.
Salvinia is a very good indicator of nitrogen availability. It is a natural "nitrate test" , better than the nitrate test itself as plants don't lie. It is nitrogen sensitive and it gets pale, stunted, and old leaves start dying off when nitrogen deficient. Yours is telling you that its ok skipping a water change :) If you add nitrate in the form of fertilizer, it will green up and the leaves will also grow bigger and healthier looking.

When mine has looked the same, it was on its last legs...I love floating plants but the problem I have is that the large emersed plants always outcompete it for nitrogen.

Salvinia2.jpg

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The rainy season has finally begun here on Taboga, and because my sump is semi open it gets significant rainwater, with the over cast sky, and lots of flower drop, the tank went from clear to a dark tea color in only 3 days. Although nitrate is still undetectable, the pH has dropped from @8 down to almost 7.4
fullsizeoutput_1445.jpeg
You can see brown leaching from the flowers.
fullsizeoutput_145b.jpeg
Since the tank is outside, all fish, endemic, and many of the local rivers and streams look the same with this seasonal change, I go with the flow.
fullsizeoutput_1456.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1462.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Just a little deviation, went down to one of my favorite beach bars the other day on Taboga, not many people in the water, so to show why, and for our entertainment, the bar manager took a cooler pulled out jelly fish.
fullsizeoutput_1232.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_122d.jpeg
might make an interesting tank at some point, they often wash up on the beach en masse during certain tidal events.

Reactions: cockroach

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
A bar I could spend the whole day at.

I like the tannin stained water. Looks good and your tank just keeps looking more and more naturally chaotic. Awesome.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Funny in the states I had to work at getting tannins in my tanks, soaking leaves, loading tanks with driftwood, bags of peat, and even reusing old tea bags in HOB filter overflows.
Here I'm removing sticks, and branches, cutting back overhanging vegetation that drip tannins in the tank with the constant rain , and removing some of the aquaponics plants, because the tannins get so dark I can barely see the fish on cloudy days.fullsizeoutput_14be.jpeg
I had to do a 50% water change today just to dilute the tannins, even though nitrate is undetectable.
A surface shot after removing and replacing about 90 gallons.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Hadn't seen any of the Vampire Crawdads in over a month, but today one wandered out like it owned the place, and the cichlids left it alone.
I'm wondering if a tank this size is only large enough for one, and their own battling allowed the cichlids to rip apart losers, or those crippled by the fights.fullsizeoutput_14f3.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store