Aquatic plant, + collecting in Lake Gatun

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Little plant update.
When first added to the tank, because the tank is situated on a patio under a overhang, no direct sun hit the tank, and so far, no artifice lighting. So I did not expect rigorous growth if any.
The first plants were bought from a LFS in Panama city.
A sword plant with an @ 6" radius.
fullsizeoutput_e26.jpeg
It was planted in the most sunlit area, and today it covers about triple that area,
fullsizeoutput_e10.jpeg
Some plants from Lake Gatun did well, others melted away.
The Hyacinths died quickly with direct sun, and I moved the last to the sump, that gets a few hours of morning direct light.
fullsizeoutput_e13.jpeg
The Hydrilla (or is it Egeria) were placed in the most unlit area, only getting indirect light in early morning and late afternoon.
at first pieces torn off from the lake of only a few inches.
fullsizeoutput_b97.jpeg
after about 6 weeks in the tank, some have grow from the substrate to the surface, about 24".
fullsizeoutput_e25.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_e1e.jpeg

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Little plant update.
When first added to the tank, because the tank is situated on a patio under a overhang, no direct sun hit the tank, and so far, no artifice lighting. So I did not expect rigorous growth if any.
The first plants were bought from a LFS in Panama city.
A sword plant with an @ 6" radius.
View attachment 1361660
It was planted in the most sunlit area, and today it covers about triple that area,
View attachment 1361661
Some plants from Lake Gatun did well, others melted away.
The Hyacinths died quickly with direct sun, and I moved the last to the sump, that gets a few hours of morning direct light.
View attachment 1361662
The Hydrilla (or is it Egeria) were placed in the most unlit area, only getting indirect light in early morning and late afternoon.
at first pieces torn off from the lake of only a few inches.
View attachment 1361663
after about 6 weeks in the tank, some have grow from the substrate to the surface, about 24".
View attachment 1361664
View attachment 1361665
It's coming together nicely.

Reactions: cockroach

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Its been about 2 months since the trip to Gatun, and only a few of the plants are flourishing.
The Hydrilla seem to be doing the best, about doubling in length, to ver 24"..
Even though I moved the Hyacinth to the sump (half day full sun), it bit the dust, although the salvinia (also moved) seem to be doing well.
a little of the Hydocotyl is hanging in there, and the plants bought at the LFS are doing OK.
An Amazon sword and Vallisneria doing well.
The store bought Anubias melted back during the wild fish 3.5 ppm salinity ick treatment, but seems to be recovering, as salinity has been reduced with water changes.

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Ofc the hydrilla is doing great that stuff grows insanely fast and large. Its a complete nuisance at my lake house.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Its been about 2 months since the trip to Gatun, and only a few of the plants are flourishing.
The Hydrilla seem to be doing the best, about doubling in length, to ver 24"..
View attachment 1364303
Even though I moved the Hyacinth to the sump (half day full sun), it bit the dust, although the salvinia (also moved) seem to be doing well.
View attachment 1364304
a little of the Hydocotyl is hanging in there, and the plants bought at the LFS are doing OK.
An Amazon sword and Vallisneria doing well.
View attachment 1364305
The store bought Anubias melted back during the wild fish 3.5 ppm salinity ick treatment, but seems to be recovering, as salinity has been reduced with water changes.
View attachment 1364308
Your doing better at growing plants then I ever achieve. Are you using any ferts

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Your doing better at growing plants then I ever achieve. Are you using any ferts
Some of the substrate is Fluorite, and when I first planted the Amazon sword, I jammed aa root tab near it.
Other than that just a few hours of indirect sun per day, no other lighting, the tank is under a roof, so sun only gets in early morning for an hour or two, and again as the sun is setting in the west.
Below an afternoon shot.

fullsizeoutput_1096.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Another plant update, the sun hits the tank differently lately, and that new trojectary has really perked up the Vallisneria. It has been sending out runners taking over about 1/4 of the tank to the extent that its swallowing up the sword plant.
fullsizeoutput_125b.jpeg
and have just started experimenting with NewZealand spinach about a week ago from cuttings, as a kind of pseudo-aquaponic sense as an extra nutrient user.
fullsizeoutput_125a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_125f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1265.jpeg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store