Aquatic plant, + collecting in Lake Gatun

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Looks like a relaxing scene, sitting back on the decking with that view and a nice new tank to look at.
Looking forward to see how this tank progresses.
If it's not too nosey to ask, why did you decide to move to such a place? It looks great but must have a lot of challenges. (Sorry if you've been asked this before)

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Are there any aquarium stores in Panama? From what I heard, although many aquarium fish originated from CA and SA, they are all shipped to North America or Europe, with few, if any available locally in stores. So unless you can collect your own, it’s hard to find variety of fish to fill an aquarium.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If it's not too nosey to ask, why did you decide to move to such a place? It looks great but must have a lot of challenges. (Sorry if you've been asked this before)
I retired in 2015, and was looking for a place to live comfortably, on a fixed income, one that is warm, has a modern health care system, and has endemic cichlids.
Panama offers a nice retirement program for X-pats,
On the island where I live, I don't need a car, a regular Drs. office visit is $0.50, dental and major health care is about 1/3rd of that in the states, I can buy meds that I would need a prescription for in the states over the counter, no snow or cold. I could blather on and on.
There are 2 LFSs that I know of in Panama City. I was at one the other day asking about native fish. They said its illegal to sell them, so I need to go out and catch my own, or talk to some of the indigenous people about it. Which is my plan, just like the plants and mosquito fish from Lake Gatun in this thread.
You can see the how, of getting a tank to the island in my other thread.
After 3 years fishes, a new (used) 180.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I retired in 2015, and was looking for a place to live comfortably, on a fixed income, one that is warm, has a modern health care system, and has endemic cichlids.
Panama offers a nice retirement program for X-pats,
On the island where I live, I don't need a car, a regular Drs. office visit is $0.50, dental and major health care is about 1/3rd of that in the states, I can buy meds that I would need a prescription for in the states over the counter, no snow or cold. I could blather on and on.
There are 2 LFSs that I know of in Panama City. I was at one the other day asking about native fish. They said its illegal to sell them, so I need to go out and catch my own, or talk to some of the indigenous people about it. Which is my plan, just like the plants and mosquito fish from Lake Gatun in this thread.
You can see the how, of getting a tank to the island in my other thread.
Does sound tempting, a lot of people here do the same in Thailand or Vietnam, would consider it myself sometime in the future.
I do admire that someone actually does this, you only live once and to start again in a foreign country at retirement age does seem to require some degree of courage and balls.
I have been keeping an eye on your other thread, I just moved 30 minutes across town and thought that was a lot of hassle so your thread helped put things in perspective.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Funny that one criterion of a retirement place is that it must have endemic cichlid.

Funny that they ban selling native fish. Aren’t they less concern about selling exotic tropical fish that can invade the habitats.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Lake Gatun is already filled with invasive Cichla and Tilapia, and I visited another lake that was filled with Tilapines.

The average Panamanian can only afford small tanks, so most species kept are small community type.
Or those who keep large tanks, keep salt water species.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
There are 2 LFSs that I know of in Panama City.
Only 2 lfs in Panama City! I bet they don’t have much selection either. Dont you miss the many species you used to keep in Wisconsin?

Ive been to Peru a couple times including a visit to the Peruvian Amazon where many aquarium fish originated from. Browsing through the city of Lima, I have not come across one lfs.

Hobbyists are complaining the demise of independent lfs in North America, but Petsmart, Petco, Pets Plus, and Big Als chain stores are in every town, and mail order fish places are everywhere in the web. So what’s the complaint.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Selection is quite limited here, with only the bread and butter African cichlid species, Bettas, tetras and barbs, Angels, and Oscars available in both LFSs, there are also some generic pet stores with the same BnB community type, and goldfish.
On the local versions of craigs list, Arowana, Cichla and other exotics are sometimes available.
But when I think about it, I hardly ever bought cichlids from LFSs in the U.S., most of mine came thru contacts in th American Cichid Assn, of Greater Chicago Cichlid Assn, and my local club.
There may be these type people here too, that I just haven't run across yet, being relatively new, with limited Espanol, and living on a remote island.
The influx of amateur created hybrid mutts, and the popularity of mutants like BR Parrots in the US lead me to have little trust in my LFSs anyway. , so I can't say I miss that at all.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store