Arapaima Pond Build

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Coming together very nicely. What is the product used to water proof the concrete?

Will you have a roof or will you let the water go green?

It looks like the filtration will have air lift returns?

I visit Bangkok sometimes, I'll send you a private message as it would be good to see this up close.

Reactions: Matteus

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Well, long time for an update, but nothing much happened for 2 months after filling up the pond. Understandable, and sure the concrete has cured and leached properly now.
So work started again on the pond. Full speed. Filter will be covered with thick con-wood. Outside has been painted. Inside remains as is.

IMG_0922.jpeg

Working on the false floor for the filter materials that will go on top.

IMG_0918.jpeg
Brushes that go into the first compartment

IMG_0919.jpeg
2nd compartment filter materials. Mostly shells. Didn't have any input in the build, but the contractor really seems to know what he's doing, including the biological processes involved, so I trust him on it.

IMG_0925.jpeg
Filter materials packed inside

IMG_0924.jpeg
Electrical all done properly. 3 water pumps and 1 air pump I saw already.. we'll see.

IMG_0923.jpeg
3 water pumps fitted

IMG_0921.jpeg
Automatic top-off. All factory water will go through filters, so it should be way better than what is currently used.

IMG_0920.jpeg
One of the return jets installed. I do have my doubts if they'll withstand the two red-tails though.
We'll find that out soon enough.

Schedule now is filling up next week and adding feeder-fish first.
Let those swim for 2 weeks and then we'll get a good 200 litre of media and water from our current pond.
We'll put that in some laundry baskets in front of the filter inlet, to get the water seeded with bacteria and speed up the cycling.
Once that's done: Moving time..

Cheers,
Luc

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Coming together very nicely. What is the product used to water proof the concrete?

Will you have a roof or will you let the water go green?

It looks like the filtration will have air lift returns?

I visit Bangkok sometimes, I'll send you a private message as it would be good to see this up close.
Hello Fishdance.

Proofing concrete is done with Lanko. It's an additive. After that, polishing the concrete and let is leach out properly.

Filter is bottom in, top out. So sediment stays under the filter media.
Forgot to take pictures of the side of the filter. There's drain-valves in each compartment to get sediment out.
Currently it's plumbed into the stormwater drain. Will change that later as it's very good water for plants.

Any time you're in Bangkok. sure welcome to have a look!

Kind regards,
Luc

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Wow this is crazy. 8 years and 57 pages- I just found this gem. I skipped to the last page but will be reading this thread( probably over the next few days). ?

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
He also had a big grin on his face today watching Mr. T and his friends in his current pond.
I suggested to him to use the gravel in the pond to help seed the new pond and speed up the cycling. Took a while for him to understand what I wanted to do, but he was sure on board once he understood.

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Went over today to drop of some stuff for my contractor. They're working like maniacs to get everything ready.

IMG_0933.jpeg
Here's the drains I've been talking about. There's also the painted pipes that connect to the air-compressor.

IMG_0932.jpeg
The air-compressor and the control panel.

IMG_0926.jpeg
There's water in the pond again and 2 of the 3 pumps are working.

IMG_0931.jpeg
The inlet of the first pump with Venturi. The cone behind it is the overflow back into the last filter chamber.

IMG_0930.jpeg
The backside of the pond. There'll be trees behind it to shade the pond.

IMG_0928.jpeg
Filter-chambers full with water now.

IMG_0927.jpeg
Inlet chamber with black brushes, top-up valve...

IMG_0929.jpeg
Pump chamber. I sure will have no worries about flow-restrictions in the filter..lol

Cheers,
Luc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store