Are micro-chipped/certified Asian arowanas OK in the US?

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
they are illegal, but not impossible to get. stings are pretty rare, just don't get caught, its a big fine for buying one and selling can get you jail time.

Linh Nguyen

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
they may be illegal, but not hard at all to find and buy one. A few years ago I visited NYC and strolled through chinatown. I ran into a LFS that had quite a few asian aros (red, green, rtg, panda, gold, xback) in plain view inside the store. Price for a ~4" specimen $4500.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I've had 2 offered to me in the last 6 months from vendors I know. Not that hard to find. Neither are snakeheads. Just not worth the risk.

Linh Nguyen

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
EVERY asian arowana ad in the US is BOGUS. I don't care if any seller states these aros come with CITES certification, are chipped, Come with a certificate of authenticity, or have an authorization declaration from the Pope. EVERY live asian arowana is ILLEGAL to possess, sell, trade, or transport within the USA and it's territories.

This is nearly a weekly topic. Believe me when I tell you that; should asian aros ever become legal in the US, MFK will post full-page flashing banner announcements about it. Until then, ...EVERY live aro ad in the USA is a scam or a sting.
you need to edit this post because it's not entirely true, ESPECIALLY the BIG WORDS THAT ARE IN BOLD. For educational and research purposes, THEY ARE LEGAL.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
you need to edit this post because it's not entirely true, ESPECIALLY the BIG WORDS THAT ARE IN BOLD. For educational and research purposes, THEY ARE LEGAL.

No. 1: There are zero permits available to private collectors which is what this site is concerned with. And, I stated plainly that ads for asian aros in the US is BOGUS. Sea World or Scripp's or any other public aquarium/research facility is not going to look for an asian aro on Craigslist.
No. 2: MFK does not condone the commission of an illegal act such as selling or purchasing an illegal species.

Note: your post was edited due to MFK not allowing any discussion or referral in posts of drugs or alcohol.

KevBeaer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
California
asian arowana are illegal in the states and like oddball stated before that zoos and such are a research facility so they do have access to them. However, a private owner is not allowed one no matter what circumstance. All the websites and the stock you showed or posted are on various websites such as arofanatics and are stolen. Please lol go do some research before you claim they are legal. Also go check the US fish and wildlife department and it will clearly state that it is illegal. You might see some smuggled in but getting caught would lead up to a huge fine and your asian arowana being taken away so not worth the trouble.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
If anyone really wants an Asian that bad move to Canada. Simple as that. LOL I can't believe some people fall for that craigslist ad for them. Some guy in Nigeria is banking off of fish keepers lol

Reactions: KevBeaer

KevBeaer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
California
If anyone really wants an Asian that bad move to Canada. Simple as that. LOL I can't believe some people fall for that craigslist ad for them. Some guy in Nigeria is banking off of fish keepers lol
Lol yup basically and then complain that they got scammed which I think is pretty funny. Either that or they get sent a jardini and are in denial they got ripped off

Reactions: Ihsnshaik

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Lol yup basically and then complain that they got scammed which I think is pretty funny. Either that or they get sent a jardini and are in denial they got ripped off
LOL no way they will send anything maybe a picture of an asian arow possibly haha. Asian Arow is hot because they're nice looking but they're illegal so us Americans want anything we can't have and others can.

Reactions: KevBeaer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store