Are plastic boxes safe as quarantine tanks? and Ich questions

Rensille

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2018
For some reason my fish suddenly showed signs of having ich on my tank i think it was because of the stress caused from moving the tank to another room I couldn't pick up some bare tanks today because i was busy on a trip and the stores are close and tomorrow they will probably be closed since its new year so i picked up a couple of large plastic boxes and was wondering if its safe to use them as qt tanks.

I'm also new to the hobby and its the first time I had ich. I have done research and picked up a methlylene blue that i'm going to use since they say it should be safe for all types of fish both scaleless and scaled fish which i have in my tank. I don't have a heater so i'm not confident if it will work since most information i found requires a heater. should i separate the scaleless and scaleless fish when medicating them since the scaleless fish need 1/2 of the required dose? or treating them in a single container will do fine? The directions on the methylene blue is also unclear besides the required dose per gallon I do not know how much % water change i should do everyday and how long will this treatment last. I also don't know if i should use bath or dip method instead.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Large plastic boxes are safe as long as nothing toxic was kept inside them prior would be my thinking.

As for the ich. Methylenblue wont work since ich is attached to the body. Also it’s not that effective to ich compared to meds imo. Need to get some seachem paragaurd, Kordon ichx, or api ich cure.

Reactions: tlindsey

Rensille

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2018
Large plastic boxes are safe as long as nothing toxic was kept inside them prior would be my thinking.

As for the ich. Methylenblue wont work since ich is attached to the body. Also it’s not that effective to ich compared to meds imo. Need to get some seachem paragaurd, Kordon ichx, or api ich cure.
Unfortunately Methylene blue was the only product available at my lfs will it work if i get a heater? I'll go on a 2 hour trip to a big fish store maybe they have some heaters or some better med s or maybe i should try the aquarium salt method?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Salt and heat will work. Gotta keep it for about 14 days.

Reactions: tlindsey

Rensille

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2018
Salt and heat will work. Gotta keep it for about 14 days.
Thanks, how much % water change do i do everyday? and should i separate the scaled fish from the scaleless fish when treating them?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks, how much % water change do i do everyday? and should i separate the scaled fish from the scaleless fish when treating them?
No need to separate. Would add salt 1 tsp per g. Three times about 6hrs apart. Increase ur temp to 86degrees. Increase a degree every hour. Then no need to daily water change. Do about 50% water change. Then replace the water with same amount of salt taken out.

Example 100g tank, 1tsp per g x3 is 300 tsp. Then do a water change when needed. Take 1/2 or 50% water out. Replace 1/2 or 50g back. Add the salt for 50g which was removed or 150tsp.

Hope that make sense. Best of luck.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Do the water change if ur nitrates are above 40ppm.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Do the water change if ur nitrates are above 40ppm. Not daily water changes.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
For some reason my fish suddenly showed signs of having ich on my tank i think it was because of the stress caused from moving the tank to another room I couldn't pick up some bare tanks today because i was busy on a trip and the stores are close and tomorrow they will probably be closed since its new year so i picked up a couple of large plastic boxes and was wondering if its safe to use them as qt tanks.

I'm also new to the hobby and its the first time I had ich. I have done research and picked up a methlylene blue that i'm going to use since they say it should be safe for all types of fish both scaleless and scaled fish which i have in my tank. I don't have a heater so i'm not confident if it will work since most information i found requires a heater. should i separate the scaleless and scaleless fish when medicating them since the scaleless fish need 1/2 of the required dose? or treating them in a single container will do fine? The directions on the methylene blue is also unclear besides the required dose per gallon I do not know how much % water change i should do everyday and how long will this treatment last. I also don't know if i should use bath or dip method instead.
You can also use cheap styrofoam coolers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store