Are these convicts??

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
Thank you for the feedback, they are starting to come out more. chucked a bunch of anachris and duckweed in their tank. They are for sure convicts but there is something different about how they look just can figure out what - might be mixed with something perhaps. One of them has a light checking on the side I've never seen on convicts before.

Anyhow I'm hoping to breed these. Now I just need to figure out if I have a female or not. Haven't seen any orange belly yet on either.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
They may have some mixed blood from other amantitlania, but they look more or less purebred. Big one definitely a male, seems to be semi short bodied. Small may turn out to be female.

Reactions: Galactik

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
These have deformities that appear to be from poor water conditions when they were juveniles. Notice how the pectoral fins do not stick straight out from the body as they should but instead curve downward. Also the notch in the edges of the caudal fin and the shortened bodies.

Fin and bone underdevelopment usually result from a depletion of calcium and/or magnesium in the water, so either they were raised in water that was too soft, or more likely, they were raised in crowded conditions or in tanks that didn’t get enough water changes so the growing fry depleted the minerals from the water and it wasn’t replenished via water changes and food. This is a very common issue with cichlid fry raised by inexperienced keepers. It’s also why there are so many angelfish out there with “chopped” fins where the dorsal and anal fins chop off in a straight line instead of tapering to a point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store